Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Has your Fishing Focus Changed over Time?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When I was young, my time was my own and bigger was the goal, so I went very often & targeted mainly cats & pike. (but always loved the bluegill & perch on ultralites). In my mid 20’s I went into an almost exclusive walleye snob mode for about 10 years, probably spent too much money on equipment & Canada trips but it was fun. When kids came, I just I became very pleased with the few hours chasing panfish kept them entertained. Soon I will be an empty nester with more time, and I will probably chase whatever is hot. but I know the panfish will be my mainstay. My deer preferences evolved nearly the same, from any buck, to only does or a bigger buck, now it is whatever is unfortunate enough to be under my stand when I decide my season is over. 😉

After moving to SD from IA, I discovered everyone is walleye and perch crazy here. I enjoy sitting on the lake, but while doing so I keep thinking about the Big Sioux River and my dream trip, the Red River for cats. I finally got a buddy converted to catfishing. And when they’re not biting I can at least drive around and catch the flying carp with my boat. Luckily, none of the lakes around here provide that kind of opportunity…yet.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: cal

I use to catch some I could eat. Now I have to put them back. 🙁

Because??? Drs orders???? Mercury??? C&R pressure? I still eat a few meals of fresh fish every year.

Participant

Quote by: Kev-Cat

There was a time I was a hard-core catfish guy. I went for years and didn’t fish for much else. During my time in college I fished for a lot of bass; both largemouth and smallies. I still fish for bass but that is usually on business trips when I don’t plan on keeping any fish.

The last couple years I have focused mostly on crappies and bluegills; very often fishing from a kayak. My wife asked why a lot of my equipment has set untouched for a long time. I guess I must have lost some interest or other types of fishing are more entertaining to me now.

Has your fishing interests changed?
    Kev

Yes, anyone doing this for 10 years will change focus. Those of us doing this for 50 years much more so. Don’t have time to even start to explain now. But I’ve got to know so many anglers over the years, starting with the old retired guys, and grandfathers who took a 8 year old kid in the early 60s fishing for what ever they chased, and many, many and much, more since.

Not sure how old you are Kev, but what you describe is the norm.

Participant

Quote by: JRwIA

Quote by: Kev-Cat

There was a time I was a hard-core catfish guy. I went for years and didn’t fish for much else. During my time in college I fished for a lot of bass; both largemouth and smallies. I still fish for bass but that is usually on business trips when I don’t plan on keeping any fish.

The last couple years I have focused mostly on crappies and bluegills; very often fishing from a kayak. My wife asked why a lot of my equipment has set untouched for a long time. I guess I must have lost some interest or other types of fishing are more entertaining to me now.

Has your fishing interests changed?
    Kev

Yes, anyone doing this for 10 years will change focus. Those of us doing this for 50 years much more so. Don’t have time to even start to explain now. But I’ve got to know so many anglers over the years, starting with the old retired guys, and grandfathers who took a 8 year old kid in the early 60s fishing for what ever they chased, and many, many and much, more since.

Not sure how old you are Kev, but what you describe is the norm.

Participant

That’s a good one…

For someone like me, who has lived in 6 different states and traveled quite a bit, I’d say my focus has, well, unfocused. I grew up fishing for northern and panfish in Minnesota, sea fishing in Florida, and fishing a gin clear lake in Wisconsin for smallies and perch. Every year (except this year) I go to Devils Lake and fish for walleye and pike. Down here in Iowa, I used to get a ton of time to try and dial in a specific species. Never quite got decent at catching any one thing, so I just fish until I find something biting on my offering and stick with it. One thing I haven’t tried yet is carp fishing, and I might start leaning that way. I’ve hooked a couple over my time here in Iowa and can honestly say, one of the craziest fighting fish. If you enjoy a blast of a fight on lighter line, you really have no excuse for not carp fishing. 🙂

Participant

Definitely has changed for me. Ten years ago I was obsessed with LM bass. A few years after I went on many crappie and catfish missions. These days I am back on bassin, and have caught some huge ones this year. I also have been hitting the river hard nearby for anything that swims, especially smallies and walleyes. It even changes seasonally for me every year. I guess I get “tired” of targeting one species after a month or two, and move on to another, for the challenge mainly.

Participant

As a youth I fished with my Dad alot…….well…….always. We fished mostly for walleyes and crappies with some pike mixed in. 3 trips to Canada at the ages of 7, 8 , 9. Quite a few trips to Minnesota for these same species. So my focus as a youth was for just about anything that would bite. Even hit the creeks around here to pull out a few nice suckers and chubs. LOL!!! When I got to be a teenager my focus became much stronger and directed at bass. From the time I was about 14 until about 24 I was a die hard bass fisherman. My job allowed me to fish every day in the afternoon. My gear never left my car. As I have gotten older the “bass fisherman” in me has subsided. I still enjoy the occasional bass outing but am much more focused on walleyes and pike during open water season. I have really enjoyed ice fishing more and more as I have aged. As passionate as I was about bass fishing I never dreamed I would eventually one day lose that drive. Funny how time……..and age changes you.

Ducks

Participant

I started fishing when I was 4 or 5 and have been after about anything that will bite even now 60 years later. I have caught all the regulars like bass, bluegills, crappies, walleyes, and catfish perch, and white bass. I have also caught rainbow, brown, and brook trout, but never any of the salmond. I have caught rough fish like carp , buffalo, gar, drum, dogfish, shad, mooneyes, and just about everything else catchable here in Iowa. I caught a couple of whitefish this summer in Yellowstone Nat Park. I still like to fish for whatever is biting the most at the time I am fishing. Just as an example this past weekend at Rathbun, I caught a walleye in the spillway on a bait of cut shad, along with a couple catfish on the same. I also caught some crappies and a large Asian carp on jigs and a mooneye. Then we put the pontoon in the lake and drifted around in different areas catching 8 or 9 inch crappies and a couple of white bass most of the afternoon, and I enjoyed each and every fish and species of fish. I have yet to figure out this trolling thing for the walleyes but I still try it and end up catching about as many catfish or crappies as walleyes, and if nothing is biting that way I get bored and switch to catfishing or find a school of those little crappies because it is always better to have something on the end of the line rather than being overly selective and not catching anything. :mrgreen:

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

I decided last fall to go back to college and finish my bachelor’s degree. Since that time I haven’t had any time for fishing. I went once for a couple hours in January when the lake just happened to be frozen over. Finally this Friday I have a day off from my full time job and no school, so I am heading back up where I spent most of my summers as a teenager- Backbone State Park/Manchester streams for trout fishing. Before I met my wife I lived on the Wapsi in my canoe that my parents got for me for graduation. I spent a lot of time fishing for whatever was biting. These days I am mostly a crappie/walleye person. It’s been a rare year for me, typically I’ve been to NW Iowa a dozen times by now……but school has kept me bound here on my laptop 5-7 days a week. I get a break around the holidays for a month, and during duck season I am practically doing homework form the duck blind, lol. Of course I have to look at the benefit- finishing school will eventually lead to being able to go on fancier trips :mrgreen:

Participant

Been after walleye my whole life. When fishing for eyes slows down or I just want to sit on a dock and drink some beer with a line out I go for catfish. Other than that I don’t really target any other species except for a day or two in Canada going after Lake Trout (my personal favorite fish to go after) Too bad there are none of those in Iowa. 😥

Participant

I come from a fishing family and have been fishing since I was 3 or 4. Before I was born my family would spend summers in MN fishing for pike and walleye (my grandpa worked for the railroad and would often have all his vacation in the summer for a month or more). In my lifetime MN was only for a couple weeks at most for vacations, and although I like pike and walleye fishing still my interests are more varied.

Now that I am an adult I fish for a mixed bag, I catfish more than any of my family ever did because I like to eat it and they don’t. As a kid, if someone hooked a channel or bullhead, it went back. I also fish for rough fish on purpose sometimes and go snagging when the time is right, because I trap and my family didn’t so even though I don’t eat it, it sure saves me money over buying prepared baits. I bought a meat grinder at a garage sale for $5 and ever since, I have gone snagging or fished heavy for carp and the like a few times a year, I’ve saved a TON on bait since I started doing this.

I trout fish more too. I’m in SE iowa so it’s a bit of a drive but I get up to Manchester, elkader, and Decorah a few times a year.

The few remnant die hard walleye and pike guys make me look pretty sorry in MN but down here on my own home turf I put them to shame 🙂 some still cant possibly understand how in the fall I’d rather be trapping coon than taking advantage of the walleye bite. To each their own I guess!

Participant

Sorry, double post 👿

Participant

Quote by: speng5

I come from a fishing family and have been fishing since I was 3 or 4. Before I was born my family would spend summers in MN fishing for pike and walleye (my grandpa worked for the railroad and would often have all his vacation in the summer for a month or more).

Which Railroad? When did he pull the pin? From Railroad family, myself. Got 11years left, before I can pull the pin, then will be fishing, full time. Hopefully with a few grandkids, by then, if not, will be taking my fishing partners grandkids out. They already know me as Papa Dave…

Participant

Quote by: gofishN

Quote by: speng5

I come from a fishing family and have been fishing since I was 3 or 4. Before I was born my family would spend summers in MN fishing for pike and walleye (my grandpa worked for the railroad and would often have all his vacation in the summer for a month or more).

Which Railroad? When did he pull the pin? From Railroad family, myself. Got 11years left, before I can pull the pin, then will be fishing, full time. Hopefully with a few grandkids, by then, if not, will be taking my fishing partners grandkids out. They already know me as Papa Dave…

In his career he worked for the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, the Ann Arbor Railroad, and the Iowa Interstate Railroad. He was superintendent of the Iowa Interstate Railroad where he retired, I was a pretty little kid when he retired so it must’ve been late 80s or early 90s I guess. He was an engineer for Ann Arbor, not sure what he did before that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.