Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Has your Fishing Focus Changed over Time?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There was a time I was a hard-core catfish guy. I went for years and didn’t fish for much else. During my time in college I fished for a lot of bass; both largemouth and smallies. I still fish for bass but that is usually on business trips when I don’t plan on keeping any fish.

The last couple years I have focused mostly on crappies and bluegills; very often fishing from a kayak. My wife asked why a lot of my equipment has set untouched for a long time. I guess I must have lost some interest or other types of fishing are more entertaining to me now.

Has your fishing interests changed?
    Kev

Participant

Yep, this has happened with me, and I think it is pretty common. I used to fish bass a ton, some club tournaments every weekend etc… got hooked on musky fishing and was pretty addicted to that for quite a few years. Now, I still fish for muskies and bass, but when my kids want to go, anything that bites is the focus! It is all fun!

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

1. everything as a kid, but not focused on any one thing

2. walleyes and smallies while in college as i worked 5 summers in the BWCA

3. Now it is just catfish. I only have time to fish for one thing with kids, and i want to do it well

4. the next chapter will be when kids get more interested in fishing

5. the chapter after that will be post kids, when time is more available supposedly?

Participant

yep, same here. been on a walleye mission for the last couple years….

Participant

Grew up a mile away from Bear creek and a few miles from waterloo creek. Fished trout and that was about it. Sad to say havent gone once this year yet…

But the sadder thing is I have not fished but twice for anything else all year. Do make a trip north once a year where the northerns and walleye are mostly targeted. I have found that most of my free time is spent messing around with deer hunting stuff…

Participant

Always been into pan fishing, but have really started to focus on crappies. I fish for bass when I can’t get out in the canoe/boat and in club tournaments. I like multi-species fishing, like trolling cranks and similar techniques.

Participant

I have been an angler that fishes for whatever is biting. I love catching all sorts of fish, always have and as far as I can tell always will.

Participant

Kev, I too have changed my fishing habits over the years. one contributing factor is what fish are in the area. When I lived in Florida, I did mostly bass and some ocean varieties. When I lived by the Little Sioux River, I did a lot of cat fishing or pond fishing for Bass. What has remained a constant in my life is the love of fishing for carp. Not many fish are more fun on a fly rod then a big old carp. Sorry to all you afficionados, but carp are fun to catch and smoke up pretty well.

Participant

As a kid anything, by the time I was 9 or 10 it has been all walleye and perch ever since, more walleyes in open water and more perch through the ice. Don’t get me wrong I do both the other way around too. The only big change for me has been adding in bluegills. 3 years ago I got into site fishing for them on west okoboji, and I really like it, even chase them a couple times a year open water now too.

Participant

Fun post kev I am saveing the bullheads and cats for retirement like grandad did allthough still in practice trotlines rule.

Participant

Quote by: sensquid

Kev, I too have changed my fishing habits over the years. one contributing factor is what fish are in the area. When I lived in Florida, I did mostly bass and some ocean varieties. When I lived by the Little Sioux River, I did a lot of cat fishing or pond fishing for Bass. What has remained a constant in my life is the love of fishing for carp. Not many fish are more fun on a fly rod then a big old carp. Sorry to all you afficionados, but carp are fun to catch and smoke up pretty well.

I can hardly think of more fun than carp fishing. Over the past couple years it has became one of my favorite fish to target.

Participant

I’ve had a fascination with catfish since I was a kid and they are still my favorite open water fish by far. I enjoy catching anything but after cats next would be panfish. Ice fishing is panfish all the way, anything else is incidental.

Participant

Quote by: oldstylelight

1. everything as a kid, but not focused on any one thing

2. walleyes and smallies while in college as i worked 5 summers in the BWCA

3. Now it is just catfish. I only have time to fish for one thing with kids, and i want to do it well

4. the next chapter will be when kids get more interested in fishing

5. the chapter after that will be post kids, when time is more available supposedly?

As being mid 60’s now, it’s all about the kids!!!! 12 Grandkids!!!

Participant

I use to catch some I could eat. Now I have to put them back. 🙁

stick500stick500
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I have been an angler that fishes for whatever is biting. I love catching all sorts of fish, always have and as far as I can tell always will.

that sums me up pretty well too, and I am also one who loves carping! I also get pretty excited if I can get into some bowfin or gar as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.