Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Halloween morning sit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I decided to get out for a sit this morning, and officially froze my butt off for the first time this season. I think because it is still October I underestimated how cold 20 degrees is in the morning with a 10-15mph NW wind. Anyways, back home in front of wood stove now and all is good.

Prerut report for Carroll County:
    I saw several does getting checked by juvenile bucks last night, 10/30.

This morning I had a doe with twins come through my set, and for the first time I actually saw both of the little fat lards nursing from their mother this late in the year! She finally got tired of it and jumped to get them off of her. They came through at 25 yards, but Carroll County doesn’t give out antlerless tags, so I had to let her walk.

Throughout this morining I saw steady movement starting around 7:30. I saw a total of 5 bucks from afar including 1 mature buck that I would consider shooting if he came through next time. While I did see some chasing and checking, it wasn’t fast and furious, and I think we have a few more days before it really cranks up. I saw a couple of the bucks posture up to each other, but no sparring occurred.

Great to be back in the stand, and looking forward to SW winds and some warmer air.

Good luck guys!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I live in Calhoun county, although I don’t hunt here (I head up to northeast Iowa) the report I have gotten from my friends who do hunt here is that the bucks are starting to chase. Like you said though, it is all the small bucks. That is the same report I have received up in northeast Iowa as well. I’m hoping this weekend when I make the drive to sit in my stands that activity will be hitting it’s prime.

I’m absolutely cannot wait to get into my stand as this will be the first time I have been able to hunt the rut.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Roger that and good luck to you this weekend! It is supposed to warm up, but 60s aren’t going to slow down the chase! Try not to make one a hood ornament on the way either! 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

Try not to make one a hood ornament on the way either! 😀

My thoughts exactly. This time of year I am white knuckling it to get to my duck spots as most I have to go through a lot of timber area.

Last weekend I saw a small fork buck chasing a doe on my way to hunt ducks. Then a couple hours later at the pond I looked behind me and saw two does being pursued through a cut bean field by a smallish 6pt. Southwest Johnson County. Went on a squirrel hunt and to hopefully come across an elusive fall turkey. Couple tree rats and no turkey but again saw a small buck after a doe this time in eastern Iowa Co.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Taking Thursday and Friday off for hunting. Looking forward to it!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 11/7-11/15 off to hunt the peak of the rut and am gonna try to slip out when I can before then.

Good luck to all of the bow hunters on the site!

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

I decided to get out for a sit this morning, and officially froze my butt off for the first time this season. I think because it is still October I underestimated how cold 20 degrees is in the morning with a 10-15mph NW wind. Anyways, back home in front of wood stove now and all is good.

Prerut report for Carroll County:
    I saw several does getting checked by juvenile bucks last night, 10/30.

This morning I had a doe with twins come through my set, and for the first time I actually saw both of the little fat lards nursing from their mother this late in the year! She finally got tired of it and jumped to get them off of her. They came through at 25 yards, but Carroll County doesn’t give out antlerless tags, so I had to let her walk.

Throughout this morining I saw steady movement starting around 7:30. I saw a total of 5 bucks from afar including 1 mature buck that I would consider shooting if he came through next time. While I did see some chasing and checking, it wasn’t fast and furious, and I think we have a few more days before it really cranks up. I saw a couple of the bucks posture up to each other, but no sparring occurred.

Great to be back in the stand, and looking forward to SW winds and some warmer air.

Good luck guys!

Great report, thanks for the info.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant
    Up
    Down

You’re welcome sir.

Last night does hit the fields late in big numbers. I didn’t see any mature bucks in the areas I scouted.

This morning my wife and I went on our regular walk and there were juveniles chasing does around and at least one couple seemed like they were paired up re: the doe was just walking slowly with the little buck a few steps behind her. I can’t be sure, but she seemed pretty welcoming.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.