Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Half-strut decoys

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I see the full strut tom decoys are becoming really popular but I’ve been wondering if I could find a half-strut jake. It seems to me like maybe a young tom that lacks the confidence to take on another in full strut would be willing to come whip a jake trying to show off. I can’t seem to find the feather flex ‘bubba’ decoy anywhere- I don’t know if they quit selling it without the breeding pair hen or what. I don’t want to spend $50 for ‘jake mobile’ and the only other possibilities I saw cost even more. I already have a standing jake and several hen decoys so those aren’t an issue. If anyone has one of these around iowa city or knows where I could get one reasonably cheap, I’d like to hear it.

duckslayer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Not sure who makes it but there is a turkey decoy that is about exactly what you want. It’s called spin-n-strut. It’s a jake in half strut.

JRD
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Matt, I’ve shot most of my birds over hen decoys alone. Only last year did I use a B-mobile and did shoot two toms. If $ is the issue I would use what you have. I’ll use the B-mobile again with a natural tail feather but I won’t rule out using just hen decoys. Remember, persistance does pay off. If you are in dire need I think Cabela’s has what you are looking for otherwise use a natural tail fan at 45degrees angle on your jake decoy.
    Don’t make it harder than it is to get these birds.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve honestly shot most of my 20 or so turkeys without any decoys at all but as ya know it’s so much better when they’re locked on the fakes. I was going to shoot a jake one day last year but the big boys were close and coming so I held off and ate my tag (I normally hammer the first legal/in range bird I find). But I wanted to shoot the jake for making a decoy and a new wingbone call that doesn’t taste like epoxy… I’ve been wondering about how I could cut one of our old foam ones to make him kind of puff up. when I figure that out I’ll try it and add a real tail, wings, and beard maybe. Two years ago near pickstown south dakoa I called in three toms and the frst one came to about 10 steps locked on the jake whle the other ones kind of looked at the hens but were mostly watchin the other. That was cool but I want to see an angry tom thrash my deke before I blast him.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

duckslayer, I would love to get the spin-n-strut but it costs over $100. I like the cheaper ones. The one that feather flex makes is what I’m kind of lookn for but if I found a good deal on primos’ jake-mobile I’d get it.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Rogers sporting goods has jake mobiles on sale for $35-36,

duckslayer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Fin and Feather sells the Jake mobil for around 50 bucks.

rod bender
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Matt, I got a Jake Mobile with 2 hens at Cabales for $79.

duckslayer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

buck wing products makes a half strut jake. It looks pretty good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.