Gun Season Reports and Stories 2018-12-06T11:46:12+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Gun Season Reports and Stories

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How was first season for those that made it out?  Anyone have luck in the last weekend’s weather?  Or punt and going second season instead?

How did the numbers look in your area?

There’s gotta be some good stories to share?!?!  🙂

papadudepapadude
    Participant

I had 5 veterans and a grandson of one of them come down for the week end, They all filled their tags, nothing big but everyone had a good time. I have enclosed stands for them to hunt in so weather is not a big factor. They stay in the bunk house and the Boss Lady fixes them breakfast and a big meal each night. Just our way of showing our appreciation for their service as one vet to another. By the way it was the youngsters first hunt of any kind and now he’s hooked. He was not afraid to jump right in when it came time to dress those deer either.

mr.icefishing
    Participant

Took my son out Saturday. Weather was horrible, managed to grunt in a young 7 pointer and he drilled it. 2nd buck of the year for him and we couldn’t be happier. I’m picking up his first one from the taxidermist this weekend. Needless to say, I’m very proud of my young hunter.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

I replied but it didn’t show up.  I’m not going to spend the time doing it again.  Hope it’s stuck in the spam and someone can help me out.

twdenney
    Participant

That seems to be the norm around here…waited years for this site to be the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!  What date did this sit go offline for all the GREAT improvements?????????????  Come on…come on tell it…what date was it?

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Awesome stories!  I wish I was out there, been inside recovering from getting a knee refurbished and likely will for quite a while.  It’s good to read great stories from you folks that have great stuff to share!  🙂

papadudepapadude
    Participant

That’s sad to hear Scruffy, I hope things work out for you. I’m 73 and every year I am thankful for the good health I have and the fact I can still get out and hunt. So far this year I have taken a buck with my muzzy and one with the crossbow. I still have an antlerless tag I will try to fill during the 2nd half of bow season. One of my daughters comes down and hunts the late muzzy season. She sits out most of the day as long as her heater is working lol.

We have another group of 6 vets coming down for 2nd shotgun season. Keeps us pretty busy, but a lot of fun.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Good luck to you and your crew papadude!!!

I’m fortunate to live in nature and hoping to hobble out onto the deck with the camera tomorrow.  Not sure how long I’ll be out there, or what there will be to photograph, but the squirrels have been putting on quite a show for the beagle mix LOL, so should be entertaining and good to be out of the house.

Life’s easy to take for granted and goes by quickly.  Thanks for giving and sharing with those around you.  Everyone impacted is better for it!

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I rode with a warden yesterday and although hes seen some nice deer hunting has been light.  Yesterday 6 wardens worked the ground as we went South from Ia Falls along the Iowa river with the patrol’s plane and an observer spotting for hunters.  Only found a dozen or so.  Seen plenty deer and turkey but acted like they could care less  They are expecting a wild 2nd season though.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

bear24
    Participant

Went Saturday and Sunday, group shot 5 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Although we shot less than normal, we saw more deer than last year just had a hard time getting to spots in the mud. We only saw 1 other group out hunting the whole weekend. Second season should be good I would think.

jnrbronc
    Participant

Hunted Saturday and Sunday, didn’t see anything I wanted to struggle dragging through the mud to get it out of the timber.  Weather was nasty, rain, drizzle, sleet, off and on both days.  I did hear some shooting in the area, but not as much as past years.  Took a quick walk Wednesday afternoon and jumped a tall-tine younger 10 pt that made the mistake of stopping broadside at about 80 yards.  Took the top of his heart off with the Savage ML10II.  Was able to drive the tractor right up to him, rolled him into the bucket for the ride up to the house.  Add that to my Oct. 11 archery buck and I’m done for the year.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

Hunted almost all day Saturday, and all day Sunday.  Finally at 4:15 Sunday, this guy walked out and gave me a shot at about 75 yards.

SGBUCK

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.