Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Grouse hunting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Just got back from another trip to WI grouse hunting. Anyone been hunting up in NE Iowa this fall?

Participant
    Up
    Down

How did you do in Wisc? I tried with several friends in NE IA 30 years ago, without any luck. I gonna shoot one of those buggers, before I’m done hunting.

Participant
    Up
    Down

We go to north central WI. Lincoln, Langlade counties mostly. In the New Wood area we put up 12 grouse. Ended up shooting two.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I go the end of October in Clark and eau Claire counties. We shot 6 grouse and 4 wood*censored*. I look forward to that trip every year!!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I go the end of October in Clark and eau Claire counties. We shot 6 grouse and 4 wood*censored*. I look forward to that trip every year!!

Participant
    Up
    Down

When I was kid in the snow belt of extreme NE Ohio, we would get a lot of grouse. We would hunt those birds in the deep snow in the winter and I remember how damn fast they were. I also remember how delicious they were on the table. Some good memories there. The last grouse I shot was probably in the early 80’s.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Never shot a ruffed grouse in Iowa but did have a couple of grouse near Waukon go walking by me while I was hunting squirrels on my wife’s grand parents farm in 1976. But I have shot several here in Wyoming near the Tetons. They are incredibly great table fare.

Whip

Participant
    Up
    Down

I am from Taylor county WI(Rib Lake area). About half hour from where you were. We have had tons of grouse up here the last couple years. Actually have them roosting in a tree in my front yard as I am typing this post. I have seen at least 25 grouse in the last few days just cutting firewood. You ever need a little help finding a place to hunt them let me know(PM me). I work into November on road construction but am usually in the woods any chance I get deer hunting on weekends, so I see a lot of them. I just don’t hunt them like I use to. Not sure if you stay in a hotel/motel or not but there is a small motel in town that allows dogs. It is within 15 minutes of tons of county and state land.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.