Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Fur Handling Groenewold Coyote Prices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone traded any in yet?
    Im curious what the coyote prices are…

For our Des Moines folks…I saw an ad on craigslist from someone looking for coyote pelts…says he will buy everything you have. He claimed to be at walmart in east des moines every saturday from 10-2. Southwest corner of the lot.
    Says he’s the premier coyote fur buyer in the area….has anyone traded with him yet?
    I have a feeling its a joke and wanted to get some opinions before I head there rather than boone to trade on saturday.

thanks a lot

Participant

Someone sold a few to him in your area and got 20 a piece for them. They were carcass.

Participant

Sold to Groenewold today…I had 8 to sell and he didnt seem very impressed with any of them. I was told that the long guard fur and black/silver hides were most desirable. I averaged a little over $15/hide. Hides were skinned but not fleshed. I had one real big, thick fur, dark brown hide that only brought $3. I thought it was going to be one of my better ones. I had 3 that he (Mike) didn’t like but took anyways for a couple bucks each. The most was $30.

Just figured I would give a quick update.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Yikes!! I hate to be Debby Downer but I would have kept them. All the market reports say that yotes/fox are very desireable this year, and will have prices similar to last. $15 average should be a low carcass average if the furs were as good as you.say they are.

And brown yotes are not worth much. He is right about what is most desirable.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I’ve only sold one so far, $20 on the carcass (pic posted in the predator forum).

It’s good to have a couple of buyers to sell to as one buyer might have a liking for something that the other doesn’t based on what he thinks he can make money on.

I walked up with the stiff frozen coyote and he didn’t hesitate to offer me $20 for it, which I take as an example of a buyer who’s wanting coyotes. I’ve walked up before and you could just tell he didn’t want it and offer some low amount, then I try the other buyer or try back later and hope for better results as what they want changes as the season goes along.

Good luck!

Participant

yeah…once it gets cold…i think i will leave them on the carcass for that money.

I have a feeling he thought he could put a few screws to me because Im a relatively new customer for him. He actually made a comment about it.

Ill report back when i sell again…I may have to find another means.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Groeny isnt the only game in town. Another option: For $10 someone will skin and put up your yotes so you can send to auction. You will be money ahead even if somebody else does all the work.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Veirs goes through carroll on some saturdays (check his schedule as it might change), which would probably be closer than des moines?

http://www.veirsfur.com/Routes.html

I’ve sold to him in the past without a problem, never felt like i’ve gotten ripped off (given $3 for a $15 coyote).

I think like anything that can be negotiated, if they know you’ll take whatever they offer, don’t expect it to be much. I they know you’ll walk away and sell somewhere else if they low ball you, some of them won’t low ball you. And if you have a minimum amount you’ll take or an amount you want for something, tell him a little higher and negotiate.

But until you take your skins and walk away when you’re being low balled, don’t expect things to change unfortunately…

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Another option, Marv Kraus (Greater Midwest Fur Exchange) comes through Story City at Carrousel Lanes from 4:15-5:00pm on the following Mondays –

11/17, 11/24
    12/8, 12/22
    1/5, 1/26

That is only a half hour or so from Boone, if that helps?

Participant

10-4
    thanks for the comments, help and suggestions.
    I may try story city. I work in Ames and live in Ankeny…so that wouldnt be all that bad to go to story city.

Participant

Selling fur is a business transaction. What ever buyer you use, it pays to develop a relationship with them.

I like Hemsath, and would trust him, PERIOD. I do know of some I would not trust, but maybe I have the wrong impression.

Another thing to remember, the better your fur looks the more you will receive. Blood, burs, nail hung or barn hung fur leads to lower prices. They also have pretty good memories as to what fur came from where and whom.

Participant

i got some coyotes and coon and rats and a badger im not going to skin them if he low balls me tomorrow in storm lake i will go home skin them and put them in my freezer not in it for the cash but im not going to get ripped off

Participant

i got some coyotes and coon and rats and a badger im not going to skin them if he low balls me tomorrow in storm lake i will go home skin them and put them in my freezer not in it for the cash but im not going to get ripped off

Participant

Quote by: ducker420

Coyotes are still doing good. Don’t look too promising for the rest. Nobody has orders and nothing good overseas with Russia and China. Would you rather have $4 gas and decent fur prices or $2 gas and cheap fur?

Participant

if you dont mind me asking…what was your best and worst coyote price…
    did you skin them or take them in whole?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.