Grizzly License 2018-07-05T14:15:38+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Grizzly License

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well I just filled out my application for one of the first grizzly bear tags to be issued in 50 years. Wyoming is opening a season this fall (if its not blocked by a court injunction) beginning Sept 15.  The cost to enter the lottery for a resident was $5 and for nonresidents its $15 dollars. However tags are a little more. If your selected for a tag as a resident you have to send them $600. If a nonresident draws its $6000. Last day to enter is July 16th. The odds of drawing should be crazy high with this being the first lower 48 legal hunt in 50 years.

Whip

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Good luck Whip! I’d love to participate in this, just like many of us, but no way I’m shelling out 6k. Hope you can pull one!

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Whats the the story behind those fee’s? (game tax)

CJ
    Participant

Just a zero in the right order. 🙂

WhipWhip
    Participant

Well we local boys have been living with agressive bad tempered grizzlies for several years only seems right we can a little advantage over nonresidents. But it is truly an amazing recovery story for a species that was nearly wiped out 50 years ago. This first season will be an interesting experience for both the bears and the hunters. Bears have been pretty bold and come to rifle shots called dinner bell bears. Guess I will pull off a couple of rounds and see what shows.

Whip

teton
    Participant

Good luck Whip.

kenhump
    Participant

Good luck.  Would be a lifetime hunt.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Well I was number 3000 and change in the draw. With a quota of 12 total my odds of hunting a griz is 0. My son was 948 so no grizzly bear meat this year. One of the successful applicants is an activist who vows to burn his license to save a bear. Oh well maybe it will be my turn next year.http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2018/07/30/nature-photographer-gets-license-for-wyomings-grizzly-bear-hunt-says-won-t-hunters-do-not-have-right.html

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Whip Whip.

Whip

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

Well, there’s always next year 😬

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Spent last week in Wyoming, saw several signs along the road against this hunt.  Too bad one of those people drew a tag.

WhipWhip
    Participant

You must have been in Teton county. You sure didn’t see any in Park, Hot Springs, and Fremont counties.

Whip

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Actually, Cheyenne.  Seems to be a lot of liberals in the bigger cities.

WhipWhip
    Participant

North Fort Collins yes it’s a fairly liberal area. But everyone is entitled to there personal views. Odds of  actually encountering a grizzly bear zero . Probably letting governor and other state officials know their opposition to the hunt.

Whip

Finns
    Participant
    WhipWhip
    Participant

Extremely sad I didn’t know the man personally but my son knew him and felt he was a really good guy.  Yesterday they put the two bears down. They were still at the site of the attack after two days of searching and lots of helicopter activity it didn’t push them away. According to the reports the sow just charged the two hunters as they were quartering the elk. The hunters had been at the kill site long enough to have the elk fully quartered and were getting ready to start packing it out.  The fact that the sow bear attacked two hunters is unusual but not unheard of. But with all that human activity in the area for 48 hours and to still be around is very unusual.

Here is the Game and Fish Official release:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Wyoming-Game-and-Fish-Department-finalizing-invest

Whip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.