Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Green Bean Plant problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Up
    Down

I am haviing a problem with the green beans plants in my garden, 1st year for the soil. The leaves get little holes in them and in 3 days later all the leaf protion is gone. I have tried since last Sunday with some sevin dust, did not help much. Tried liquid sevin/hose sprayer and still having this issue. Now the pepper plants and tomato plants are stating to have this also. Earle May said is was bugs, but can it be a fungas in the yard area. Any help out there?

Mr. Pike
    Participant
    Up
    Down

could be spider mites. don’t thinnk sevin is labeled for mites . might check with your county extention office

Kev-Cat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Randy,
    I can’t tell for certain from the photos but it does look like the damage to your peppers and beans is from either slugs or flea beetles in any one of their development stages. The damage to your tomatoes is flea beetles. I’ve looked at hundreds of similarly damaged plants when I used to answer “Hort-Line” for the extension service as part of the ISU Master Gardener program.

Using “Sevin”, which the active ingrediant is carbaryl is a good solution for the flea beetles but will not totally repel any potential slugs. What I would recommend is to apply a liberal amount of carbaryl dust which has a minimum active content of 5%. Most liquids or premixed containers of “Sevin” are too diluted for what you are dealing with. Don’t be worried about being too agresssive with carbaryl dust at this stage of plant development. Apply the dust to the leaves as well as around the base of the plants. Harvest is too far off that residual carbaryl will continue to reside in the plant cell structure from an application now

If you are having some of this damage from slugs also, you can bait them with a depressed container nearly filled with beer in the adjacent soil. The commercial option for controlling slugs is any product containing at least 1% Iron Phosphate.

If you need any further help, PM me and I can get you some direct assistance or extension assistance.

Kev

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Bean leaf beetle.

Kev-Cat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes, it is possible it is bean leaf beetle and they will attack peas as well. Bean leaf beetles will not feed on tomatoes. The treatment, if it is flea beetles or bean leaf beetles is the same. If you pull up some of the damaged bean plants and look at the roots and find what looks like slender white grubs a little over a 1/4 inch long, then it is bean leaf beetle.

Either way, get rid of them and get that garden growing!
    Kev

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.