Home Forums Fishing Bass Fishing Great evening at Lake Darling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Went fishing for a couple hours with my oldest son Derek at Lake Darling this evening. The bite really picked up when the sun got low enough. Buzzbaits along the rocky shorelines really paid off. Caught about a dozen or so and a few of them were in the 3 to 4+ lb range. The nicest one of the evening………

BuckFever86
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice! I’ll be at Lake Darling for the 4th. Hopefully I can have the same success as you!

stick500
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Does anyone know who the the current “caretakers” are at Lake Darling, as in living at house right there and working for the DNR/state parks?

When I was in college in the early ’80s one of my buddies grew up in that house as his dad either worked for the DNR or state parks and was pretty much in charge of Lake Darling.

I always thought that was pretty cool to have all that public fishing and hunting right in his backyard, but I think I was way more into those two sports than he ever was. His nickname at U of I was “chemical head”, not because he did drugs, but because he was a science nerd to Nth degree. Could have easily been a character on The Big Bang show.

Their family name was McEldoon and I think they were a pretty big family. Really doubt if his dad is still around.

Iowa Hunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Great picture! Sure do miss Southern Iowa fishing!!!

sadam
    Participant
    Up
    Down

:question:

Brad Phillips
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: sadam

:question:

I believe Iowa Hunter now lives in Colorado.

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Another hawg! Nice work Trev! My mother in law has a fanny pack just like that….she says it’s very handy. I may have to look into one of those.

WhiteMoose
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Nice! So are the stocked fish since the renovation that big already, or do you think it was a hold-over?

IAtaxidermist
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Speaking for Crappie….We fished this lake for the first time May 12. We never found a crappie over 9″ but the sure number of fish in that lake is incredible. 2 of us caught over 300 crappies that afternoon/evening. Beautiful lake with what looks to be a good future. Everyone there was cleaning fish it seemed. We kept 50 to help do our part….they were actually pretty healthy fillets for their size. Nice change of pace after nearly getting skunked on panfish at Belvadeer that morning. What a weed mess dissapointment that place has become.

Side note…The amount of new trucks pulling new 5th wheels into Darling was staggering. Millions of dollars roughing it in that park. Must be Iowa City’s playground.

superhopper
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We have also caught alot of crappie out of Darling with only 1 over 9″. The funny thing about 2 Fishing Reports ago by the DNR it said the crappie were 9″ to 10″. I need to get one of there rulers LOL.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.