Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing GPS for Ice Fishing?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: prestonc

I would love to know how you guys are setting up your helix for ice fishing. I used mine 1 time last year in flasher mode and hated it (jigging mode on and using the ice ducer). I have been playing with it a little this summer and think I’ll like the sonar mode with the RTS screen on the side this year. I do love it for GPS marked spots! The helix 5si is an awesome unit, but for summer a bigger screen helps a ton.

Try using it in regular sonar mode. I’ve been using an X67 for years because I cannot stand flashers. It will work just fine and I bet you’ll like it a lot better.

Participant

I didn’t like how slow and blobby it seemed. I was just hoping it was me setting it up poorly. I did buy it for the gps and really like it for that, as well as the side imaging in the boat. I was hoping to use it as a back up and get rid of my fl8. I already have a fl22 and lx7 also so it doesn’t have to work for an ice sonar, but would be cool if it did.

Participant

Quote by: ducks4me

Thanks for the help. Will look into the Helix 5 with navionics+.

Ducks

I went the Navionics app for a while, didn’t like burning up my battery & couldn’t see it in the sun. Bought a Helix 5 from Harbor Freight & could not be happier. Actually like the fact I can move it from boat to boat on vacation & have the GPS for winter, for the $$$$ I don’t think you can go wrong

Participant

Helix from Harbor Freight ?

Participant

Quote by: brgracer

Helix from Harbor Freight ?

Sorry, Hodges Marine—had my brain out of gear on that one! both start with an H :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Participant

So I have decided to go with the Helix 5 DI Ice machine and add the Navionics+ chip to it. Looks like that is may be the best route to get the contour maps that I want. And I will add another ice fishing sonar to my equipment.

Ducks

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

I’d use the lakemaster over navionics+ especially if you’re on “big” iowa lakes with HD contours

The helix 5 ice is sonar only or sonar/gps without di or si. the di units work better for ice fishing with the 455/200khz 2d cones using a skimmer transducer

Participant

Ended up getting the Helix 5 DI Ice Machine and added the Lakemaster chip. Will give a review when I get the chance to walk on the ice and use it.

Ducks

Participant

Took quite awhile to figure out the Helix5 Ice. Wasn’t aware that you had to have GPS lock in order to see any of the Lakemaster Chip lakes. Once I had GPS lock all I can say is WOW!!! This is going to be a fantastic search tool for me!! Looked at a smaller local lake and was very impressed. Will be able to zoom in and walk right to the depth I want. Very happy with the purchase so far. Now I just need some ice!!!!!

Ducks

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.