Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing GPS for Ice Fishing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have decided to purchase a GPS for ice fishing. Just not sure on which one to get and am looking for some advice. I decided not to go with the Navionics App for my smart phone. So what I am looking for is a GPS unit that has good contour lake maps that can zoom in and show you that you are either on or not on a particular piece of structure. I started fishing a couple large Iowa lakes last couple of years and felt I was just wondering and hoping. Again, I only need it to help me locate the drops, humps, and other contours to put me on the spot. Accuracy needs to be pretty darn close. Is there a unit out there that will do this for me without costing me $1,000?

Thanks Folks!!

Ducks

Participant

Quote by: ducks4me

I have decided to purchase a GPS for ice fishing. Just not sure on which one to get and am looking for some advice. I decided not to go with the Navionics App for my smart phone. So what I am looking for is a GPS unit that has good contour lake maps that can zoom in and show you that you are either on or not on a particular piece of structure. I started fishing a couple large Iowa lakes last couple of years and felt I was just wondering and hoping. Again, I only need it to help me locate the drops, humps, and other contours to put me on the spot. Accuracy needs to be pretty darn close. Is there a unit out there that will do this for me without costing me $1,000?

Thanks Folks!!

Ducks

I use the same GPS?sonar unit year round. I just take it out of my boat and wire it to a 7amp hr battery for juice. Bought an ice-ducer for it and I’m all set.

I use the GPS function to get me on my spot and the sonar function to fish with. Works extremely well for me.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

Quote by: SR+Dave

Thanks Folks!!

Ducks

I use the same GPS?sonar unit year round. I just take it out of my boat and wire it to a 7amp hr battery for juice. Bought an ice-ducer for it and I’m all set.

I use the GPS function to get me on my spot and the sonar function to fish with. Works extremely well for me.

Exact same thing here, I have a Helix 5, works great for this purpose. Instead of spending $3-400 on a vexilar, and another $?hundred dollars on a GPS, I bought the ice transducer and a battery for under $100. Worked like a charm last year up at Waubay Lake in SD one morning last winter when we left from the launching point in the dark with lots of fog, drove right to our spot.

Any chance you need a new finder for your boat? Might be a good option.

Participant

Thanks guys, but I am good on boat finders and already have Vex Fl-20s. Just need a good GPS for the lake contours and to put me on the structure.

Ducks

Participant

I use Navionics on my iphone and Ipad. I think it was 9.95 for each and it includes maps of almost all lakes and rivers in the U.S. and Canada if you get that version. If you are in an area without cellphone coverage you only have to download the map of the area you will be fishing prior to leaving on the trip and your device does not need cell/internet coverage.

Participant

Quote by: gellar

I use Navionics on my iphone and Ipad. I think it was 9.95 for each and it includes maps of almost all lakes and rivers in the U.S. and Canada if you get that version. If you are in an area without cellphone coverage you only have to download the map of the area you will be fishing prior to leaving on the trip and your device does not need cell/internet coverage.

” I decided not to go with the Navionics App for my smart phone. ”

Appreciate the reply though.

Ducks

Participant

I run the Lowrance Elite-4 HDI w/Navionics Gold as my GPS mounted on my dash of my snowmobile. Reason is that I also use it as a portable depth finder in the summer so that I can mark spots to use in the winter as well. Works great! I also use navionics on my phone which I mount to my handbars of my snowmobile. I am trying to phase out the phone though. Just need it until all my waypoints get switched from phone to Lowrance

NorhawkNorhawk
    Participant

Quote by: Widowmaker

Thanks Folks!!

Ducks

Exact same thing here, I have a Helix 5, works great for this purpose. Instead of spending $3-400 on a vexilar, and another $?hundred dollars on a GPS, I bought the ice transducer and a battery for under $100. Worked like a charm last year up at Waubay Lake in SD one morning last winter when we left from the launching point in the dark with lots of fog, drove right to our spot.

I have the Helix 5 Di GPS and I am looking at getting the ice setup for it. I am really looking forward to using it on the ice. It will be interesting to compare it to my Marcum as well

Participant

You have to be able to live with a small screen. the older I get the less I like it.
    It is portable and I dink around with it walking and sometimes in the car.
    I use a garmin 60 and the old Lakemaster chips.

Participant

Helix 5 combo with the Navionics+ be a good choice? Again, really just need the gps to walk me to the structure. But willing to spend a little more to get a good unit that will zoom in and show me exactly where I am on the contour map.

Ducks

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

Quote by: Norhawk

Quote by: Widowmaker

Thanks Folks!!

Ducks

I have the Helix 5 Di GPS and I am looking at getting the ice setup for it. I am really looking forward to using it on the ice. It will be interesting to compare it to my Marcum as well

I have the Si GPS and couldn’t be happier. Wish in the summertime that I had the bigger screen, but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money on the bigger ones. With the ice fishing mode, it does everything my buddy’s Vexilar does and more.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

Helix 5 combo with the Navionics+ be a good choice? Again, really just need the gps to walk me to the structure. But willing to spend a little more to get a good unit that will zoom in and show me exactly where I am on the contour map.

Ducks

I think you’d be very satisfied with that.

Participant

Thanks for the help. Will look into the Helix 5 with navionics+.

Ducks

Participant

I would love to know how you guys are setting up your helix for ice fishing. I used mine 1 time last year in flasher mode and hated it (jigging mode on and using the ice ducer). I have been playing with it a little this summer and think I’ll like the sonar mode with the RTS screen on the side this year. I do love it for GPS marked spots! The helix 5si is an awesome unit, but for summer a bigger screen helps a ton.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

Quote by: prestonc

I would love to know how you guys are setting up your helix for ice fishing. I used mine 1 time last year in flasher mode and hated it (jigging mode on and using the ice ducer). I have been playing with it a little this summer and think I’ll like the sonar mode with the RTS screen on the side this year. I do love it for GPS marked spots! The helix 5si is an awesome unit, but for summer a bigger screen helps a ton.

What did you hate about it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.