Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Got my first pheasants

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I went on my 2nd pheasant hunt yesterday. The hours of walking was worth it in the end. Saw 2 hens and bagged 2 roosters. The first bird of the day we were walking corn stalks and the dog went on point. I flanked the dog and moved slowly a head and the hen burst through the stalks and my cousin yells “HEN! HEN!” Our second bird we were walking through about an acre of millet and wheat grass the dogs were birdy but moving I was looking down because I had just stepped in a hole and heard a commotion and a bang. My cousin dropped the rooster which fell like a rock. Both dogs went for it and so did my cousin. Then the grass was splitting like a road runner was shooting through it and right at me. I gave chase but I couldn’t keep up. We decided to give up on the running bird and search for the bird that he’d shot. We spent 45 minutes moving in a grid and decided that the runner must have been the bird that he shot and so we decided to hunt the section of grass where it had run. We came up empty. Finally we came upon about a half acre of switch grass. The dogs went wild and were way to far in front of us. A clusterflush – a hen and a rooster. The rooster flushed right toward us and we both shot, and both hit – his insides were on his outside I felt bad about that but after cleaning I had one side of the breast that was usable. As we walked back to the truck a rooster busted from the fence line and my cousin bagged him. We put in 9 hours of walking (man am I sore today) it was hard work but at the end of the day was worth it.

Participant

Good stuff! Congrats on the birds!

bluedirtbluedirt
    Participant

Congrats. Now you are hooked. lol. We got 2 yesterday. Birds were scattered around. With this cold front, think we will move on to the hard water game

Participant

That is awesome! Congrats on the beginning of a new passion!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.