Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thinking of getting a gopro to film fishing. Theres a ton of variability on price between models. Anyone have any experience that can steer me in the right direction.

Participant

Based on my own personal fishing style I would need the one with the longest battery life and most storage to even have a chance at getting video of anything worthwhile, since that comes few and far between. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Good luck.

Participant

I have a Hero2 Silver that I use in my kayak. I can at least give you a few things to consider based on my own experience

The Black models are professional grade. Really versatile if you’re an aspiring film-maker. If you’re not, then you’re paying for features you’ll probably never use.

Slow motion isn’t very good with anything less than 60fps. After experimenting I found shooting at 720P 60fps was a very happy balance between quality of picture and slow motion smoothness. The good news is that all of the newer models will shoot at this.

How you encode and export your edited video will have much much more to do with how your final product looks – especially if you’re going to be uploading it to the web. This took a lot more experimenting for me to get right. A lot.

The two biggest things that I wish I had on mine that I don’t are Wireless, and looping; and looping would be first.

Looping means you can let it start recording in a loop that keeps getting overwritten. Start continuous recording when you have a fish on and the hook-set that happened a few seconds before is on it. Wireless means hands off control. The wireless controller is usually more $ – but there’s an app for you phone. At the expense of your phone’s battery life. (Everything’s a trade-off right?)

The current entry level Hero doesn’t have either of these features but the models above it all do. If I were to pick up a second one right now I could probably live with a Hero3 White. It would do a great job of getting B-role and alt-angle shots. If I were getting a new one that would be my only one I would bump up to the Hero3 Silver just for the performance increase in still shots alone.

Whatever model you finally settle on one thing I can tell you is that the batteries that come with them are pretty low quality. You’ll absolutely want to upgrade to some better performing batteries to make life easier. I got a 2 pack of Wasabi batteries with a charger off of Amazon for like $20 and those batteries give me twice the life each as the stock ones. There are some newer ones out now that promise up to several hours of up-time, that are still pretty reasonably priced, so be sure to compare your current options.

Hope this gave you some info to get you started.

Oh yeah… They don’t float. Leash it or put a float on it! My suction cup mount came loose and fell over on the bow of my kayak in the middle of a lake the very first day I took it out. My heart stopped until I got myself leaned forward far enough to grab it before it fell in the drink. Close one. WAY too close…

~DR

Participant

I thought about getting one recently, and I would of got the Hero4 Silver, it shoots in 4k, which is pretty pointless right now but the Hero3 only does 1080 and the Hero4 Silver has the display already. Which is an $80 add-on.

I ended up getting a Sony ActionCam just because I got it for super cheap, it works but the wide-angle on it is annoying and the still shots and video aren’t nearly as good as a GoPro. But it retails for like $150.

Heres the only vid I made so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWaI-3R9ug

Participant

I have and like the Hero3 silver edition. It produces good videos. You can get extended battery packs for them if that is a concern. I purchased some batteries on Ebay and have more then enough to film an entire day. If you have a smart phone you can use the app and there is no need for the back view screen. Here is a link to a video I made fishing in my kayak with the Hero3 silver.

https://youtu.be/GzjIuSS5_xw

Participant

Hero3 or 4 Black Edition is the way to go if you have the money pretty sure none of the other models allow 1080p which is imo what makes the camera so special in the first place. Not saying shooting in 720 is bad but 1080 is just so much cleaner. I shoot everything in 1080 but I have to carry a lot of batteries and the files for that resolution are quite large so a good size sd card is also nice. Really it is going to depend on your needs and what your planning on doing with it like h20 said.

Participant

The new ones all the way down to the intro model will all shoot at 1080P now, but you get improving frame rates at that resolution as you go up to the higher end models.

The Black will shoot at 4K, which, while being awesome, is also so cutting edge that you might run in to issues with exporting if you want to deliver content at that resolution. Most of the industry is expecting H.265 to be the compression standard for that resolution but Google is pushing for VP9 – and they own YouTube, so it’s all a bit up in the air at the moment. Most PC hardware can’t even support these codecs yet and if I’m not mistaken (Which I might be without actually checking) YouTube has no support for H.265 yet.

Technology moves fast these days though, so it’s really just a matter of time.

Fishing Show brought up a good point though – higher resolution means more memory, so get the biggest card you can. There’s no such thing as too much memory…

~DR

Participant

Thanks for the help guys. Still not sure which one I want but have some information now. Any other tips on how you mount yous in a boat. Seems the ones wiithout a screen may be difficult to point where you want them.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Thanks for the help guys. Still not sure which one I want but have some information now. Any other tips on how you mount yous in a boat. Seems the ones wiithout a screen may be difficult to point where you want them.

I have the hero 3 white edition. Once you hook its Wifi up to the Go Pro smartphone app you can turn off and on your camera, record and stop recording and see what you are recording. You can also see the files on your SD card. Your smart phone essentially is the back screen.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

They have a very wide angle so it’s actually very easy to get it pointed in the right direction which has it’s pros and cons; pretty much anything thats 180 degrees in front of the camera will be in the picture even if you turn fisheye off. As far as the camera placement I would also consider the fact that the camera distorts distance badly so if your not close to the camera it will make you look like your much further away than a normal camera. There is no zoom feature built into the camera but editing can help some at cost of a more grainy resolution. I’d just test it in some different spots and see what you like most. I prefer it very close to where I’m going to be fishing but in a boat you should be able to make a bunch of mounts for different POV’s.

Participant

Quote by: MidwestFishingSh

They have a very wide angle so it’s actually very easy to get it pointed in the right direction which has it’s pros and cons; pretty much anything thats 180 degrees in front of the camera will be in the picture even if you turn fisheye off. As far as the camera placement I would also consider the fact that the camera distorts distance badly so if your not close to the camera it will make you look like your much further away than a normal camera.

X2

You’ll want to play around with mount positions to find angles you like. It’s not usually a matter of getting everything in frame but getting the perspective right. My avatar pic was shot with the camera so close that I can reach up and touch it with my left hand. Some positions I tried made it look like I was a giant fishing out of a kayak about the size of a shoe box LOL.

Participant

Ended up getting a hero 3 silver. Cabelas had it for 300 plus a they throw in $50 in cabelas bucks. That pluss points on my card made it nearly free. Now any suggestions on using their software vs buying?

Participant

I’ll try to keep this short and simple as I have been around the GP’s for probably 3-4 years now and have learned a ton.

Things to buy:
    1. get a Wasabi dual charger that comes with 2 batteries. This will allow you to charge more than one battery and have a couple spare and is only 20ish bucks.
    2. If your looking for mounts stay away from the gopro ones. Buy ram mounts as they are VERY durable, tons of adjustment, made out of metal. You will not regret this purchase.
    3. If using around the water get a floaty back as its cheap insurance for 5-10 bucks.

Tips for camera use:
    1. Like some have stated use the gopro app it is very useful and allows preview, switch of the camera modes, and is a lot easier to change the camera settings than on the camera itself.
    2. If your wanting to mount it on the pole for some things I would look at the sportsman mount from gopro as it is about the only one I would get.
    3. If the camera came with the remote just put it in the junk drawer as the phone does a 10x better job.
    4. For editing I pay $20 a month for adobe premiere cloud and use adobe premiere pro. I started on out something simple (Windows Movie Maker) until I figured out the basics then stepped up. The GoPro software is kind of clunky and to me its just not well designed.
    5. I’ve seen some cool fishing videos that have the baseball cap mount/head strap which are really cool just remember that your head moves a ton so the less movement the better.
    6. As your probably aware this is NO ZOOM so keep that in mind when you place the camera.

Look forward to seeing some of your videos and if I think of anything else I will let you know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.