Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Good Day

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

A friend and I went ice fishing on a small lake today and I had a real good day on bigger bluegills. Its a small lake and I’d only been there once before and only had one other fisherman out their. He started leaving and another guy started coming out. I told my friend maybe I should hide the fish I had out on the ice that I was throwing out the window on my one man shack. Well here the guy comes. Walked right up behind my shack and said is this two close. I said #@$%# ya got the whole lake but you do what you think is right but I’m going inside my shack, he said he’d back off. After quit a while I heard him move but not far. Later I asked my friend how close was he sitting behind me. 8-10 feet. Only 3 people on the whole blessed lake. Some people??? :mrgreen:

Mayor of Hickory Grove

klee103
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Sad….but, that is how it goes here in Iowa…..

CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Couple weeks ago I was up at Koutney Pond by Brandon. I had an older gentleman literally walk up to me and look down my hole. He was looking for a worm container he had left to mark “his” spot. He at least asked nicely if I minded if he fished next to me…and set up 10 feet away. He was kind of a fun guy, pulled out an old Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman…..like I had back in the early 80’s as a kid. He had no sonar, just knew the spot well and still managed to do pretty well with his spring bobber on the end of that “as seen on TV” throwback to the 70’s, haha. Made for a fun afternoon, sometimes it’s fun to have company…..but I get it, not always, haha 😉

Daver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am not an ice fisherman, so I really do not know the customs. But I have seen ice shacks clustered together fairly closely before on lakes. What is the right distance to maintain if someone else is already on a spot?

mtielbur
    Up
    Down

I actually had a guy help me hold my shack from flipping over by putting a corner of his comfy bucket he was sitting on, on top of my skirt on the shack. Not a breath of wind that day I was only one on the pond After we sat there for about an hour with 0 conversation, he said hed had enough of the cold. I said he should have spoke up a little sooner I’d have let him sit in the warm with me He didnt say anything back and left. 🙁 Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you have a few other people fishing around you, and Mr. Hollywood’s phone rings and the guy carries a 30 minute conversation with his wife about what name they should choose for their new puppy with the Entire conversation not getting below 120 decibels

iowavf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think that just how some folks are. I’ve been crappie fishing from the bank before and had 2 guys walk right up next to me and throw over the top of my line! I just shook my head and said “really” picked up my stuff and moved to another area.

PSE1986
    Participant
    Up
    Down

One day while fishing from the bank I was catching crappies that were pretty decent in size. When all of the sudden a gentleman and his family came over and stood about 10′ away from me because they had watched me for about 45 minutes pull one crappie after another out and then release them back into the water. Well the father of the group decided to get a little closer to me and cast his line over mine, the first time it happened I just untangled the mess and he apologized in very broken english, the second time it happened ( about 2 minutes later) I untangled the mess and looked at him and said it better not happen again, he apologized in broken english again. The third time that it happened (about 5 minutes later) I pulled his line up to the shore and cut his lure off and threw it in my tackle box, the guy had a very astonished look on his face while I proceeded to not so politely tell him about fishing ethics and how he needs to take his family down the shore about a hundred yards, surprisingly the guy understood what it was I was telling him and he moved far far away from me.

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Unfortunately some people have a different notion regarding what constitutes proper etiquette on public areas. I think it isn’t as bad when ice fishing as everyone fishes straight down. Things can get pretty gnarly in popular places like a spillway. I have gone out to fish early in the morning when I have been the only person for at least 100 yards up and down the spillway. I had a couple lines in the water for myself and my kids and some guy shows up and parks about 10 feet away from where I am situated. I pointed out that I had a couple lines in the water and he still proceeds to cast over one of my lines and, in the process of reeling in his line, he hooks my line and causes it to snag!! As a result, I lost a fancy new Whisker Seeker catfish lure. I was really unhappy about it, to say the least.

huntingirl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just don’t remember this kind of behavior when I was a kid we never fished within a close distance of anyone else! Now a days lots of people do this. I blame the parents (for setting the example) and in turn not teaching their kids to respect space of the other fishermen. I trust my son (15 now) to go fishing by himself because refuses to fish next to people he will move to another area if someone is already where he wanted to go or if they walk up and start fishing next to him.

I’ve personally sent kids packing down the shore when they come up and get to close and start in with their loud mouths! I’m fishing for the quiet relaxing time, go away!

mskursh
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Daver

I am not an ice fisherman, so I really do not know the customs. But I have seen ice shacks clustered together fairly closely before on lakes. What is the right distance to maintain if someone else is already on a spot?

you get guys from all walks of life. my grandfather was born in NY and he was used to smelt fishing side by side with hundreds of people. Many of those older people are also used to fishing in tight packed shacks so for them, its just how you ice fished. To think of keeping a good distance from someone as a form of etiquette is quite foreign to a lot of them. thus they pass that along to their offspring and so its trickled down. most of them would be surprised to hear you say that they were too close.

in a way we’ve changed the rules on them and many still have not got the memo.

FISHTALE
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That is right! There are people from all walks of life, so the main thing is to communicate as nicely as possible and respect your fellow fisherman as best you can. This reminds me of when someone finds where perch are biting on Big Spirit. I’ve had people anchor so close that I could almost lean over and give’em a kiss. But as long as I am still catching fish and they respect what I am doing, its not a problem to me. Maybe not quite that close though!

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If someone gets to close I usually let them know to back off. If they cross my line I usually cut their line, toss their lures in the water, kick rocks and dirt at them and swing large limbs in their direction, foaming at the mouth and spewing nonsensical gibberish. Usually they get the point.

TrapCyclone
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

If someone gets to close I usually let them know to back off. If they cross my line I usually cut their line, toss their lures in the water, kick rocks and dirt at them and swing large limbs in their direction, foaming at the mouth and spewing nonsensical gibberish. Usually they get the point.

Do you also wear your vest, bandana, and belt buckle while doing the above for maximum effect?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Do you also wear your vest, bandana, and belt buckle while doing the above for maximum effect?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I figured that went without saying, but yes…yes I do. That generally is enough to ward off any curious onlookers but sometimes I have to take it to the next level to insure my relaxation.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I figured that went without saying, but yes…yes I do. That generally is enough to ward off any curious onlookers but sometimes I have to take it to the next level to insure my relaxation.

when I see someone dressed like that I go to the other side of the lake or different spot on the river. 😛

jereseib
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I was fishing off the dock at a small lake in southern Iowa last summer. I had been out on the boat all day so was tired of trolling around with minimal luck so I put it away and wanted a nice relaxing evening on the dock.

This guy comes up on a boat with another guy and two young kids. They ask if Im catching anything and I tell them a few crappies. One of the guys proceeds to chuck his 2oz spinnerbait all around the dock for about 10 minutes right where Im casting. I stopped what I was doing and just stood there and stared at him and they finally left.

You have a 780 acre lake and a boat and you want to cast in the only 200 foot radius that shore fisherman have????? Great example for young kids also. I was so infuriated.

jereseib
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I was fishing the Saylorville Spillway one evening and it was busy, shoulder to shoulder. This younger guy, probably in his twenties keeps throwing his giant crankbait across the entire length of the river and landing 10 feet in front of us on the other side. I thought maybe one got away from him, but nope he keeps throwing it across. I see him come close to snagging a few lines until finally I snag his as Im reeling in.

I just stare at him and then untie our lures then launch his back across the river at him. In retrospect I should have just cut it off and kept. Funny thing, he’s lucky Im nice, there were a couple guys off to my right that looked like they were there on some kind of work release program and probably wouldnt have been as nice if he would have snagged them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.