Home Forums Hunting Firearms Glock 23 0.40 Caliber

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Folks,
    I was thinking of purchasing the G23 0.40 caliber handgun and I have never owned a glock handgun before. I have heard good things about the Glock with regards to durability and longevity. I was looking for a new concealed weapon and I figured this make/model would fit the bill nicely.
    I would appreciate any reviews and or opinions that are out there on the G23 before I make up my mind.
    Thanks a lot,

Participant

Your best bet is to go look at a bunch of handguns and shoot them imho.

If you have a range that rents that is.

It is still best to check out as many as you can. I personally dont like glocks becuase of the way they fit in my hand. I prefer the older springfield xd as i have not messed with the new xdm series.

My normal carry now is a kimber pro carrry CdpII 1911. Being 5’6 with a gut its hard to conseal double stack guns.

Good luck finding one you want. I myself want to pick up one of the little pocket rugers. In the summer its kind of a pain to lug around even a 3 inch subcompact like the xd’s and glocks.

Participant

Before you buy a Glock you should at least look at a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380. Its not a .40 but its a nice concealed carry gun. Small durable and has a built in laser sight.

JJ

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

Glocks are tried and true. They are probably the most reliable handgun available. I own several handguns including Glocks. Yes, they are ugly but when you pull the trigger, they go bang, everytime.

Participant

Quote by: frmboybuck

Glocks are tried and true. They are probably the most reliable handgun available. I own several handguns including Glocks. Yes, they are ugly but when you pull the trigger, they go bang, everytime.

X2

Participant

I agree with the others. You should try to shoot one of those before actually buying. If you can’t get that done I’d head to a local shop and put your hands on several different handguns. I was all set to buy a Glock myself……until I actually held one. The Glock’s grip angle just didn’t feel comfortable to me. I had also been eyeing a Springfield and that felt much more comfortable in my hands. Get your hands on a couple a see what you like before just dropping your coin on one. Good luck!

Participant

I am a huge fan of the Glock especially in the .40 caliber. Plenty of stopping power and glock has several options to choose from 22, 23, 24, 35. Make sure to stear clear of a compinsated as they will blind you at night. The Glock is easy to break down and reassemble making cleaning very easy. Just be very careful as to how you clean it as Glock lowers don’t tolerate harsh solvents and can be made into a paper weight if cleaned improperly. Can’t miss in my opinion with the Glock 23.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

If you are looking for a carry weapon, dont overlook the Glock 27. Its quite possibly the best Glock ever made

Bought a Glock 23c year and a half ago. I really like it shots nice and easy breakdown to clean. Im 6ft tall 220lps, it doesnt carry good on me during the summer, if you are wearing a jacket its fine otherwise the handle sticks out my shirt.(I carry it at either 2 or 4 oclock) Bought a Taurus 605 carriies really nice ,cant wait to get to the range to try it out. Im thinkin about either trading my 23c or buying a glock 27 out right, but i want to see how it carries first. My advice if you are going to ccw it find someone or a shop that has one and try it out, put it in your carry spot and shoot it as well.

Tim

As been said you need to go handle some guns. I had an XD subcompact .40, a 4″ XD a glock 27 and a glock23c. XDs fit my hand very well and the 27 didn’t at all. I am falling in love with the 23c. I dont know if the generations in glock make that much difference until the 4th but i didnt like the 27 and love the 23c…go figure. All i can say is go try them out. I also carry a Ruger SR9C and like that as well.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I have been a Glock fan for a long time. The Glock 23 is a good compromise between the 22 and the 27. I have all three and prefer the 27 for carry. It fits nicely in a pocket or in the waistband holster and is easy to conceal. My only advice to help control the gun is to buy a magazine extension that also gives you a place for your little finger. It makes shooting the 27 much easier and expands mag capacity by a couple of rounds. A glock 26 in 9mm is much easier to control but I like the advantages of the .40. With good Law Enforcement grade ammo like the Speer Gold Dot the Glock 27 .40 S&W is harder to handle. But I doubt if I really need it I will feel any recoil.

First time I picked up a Glock I felt the same way as Drof99 but after putting 500 rounds through one with some coaching I have a hard time shooting anything else. I shoot competitively and switch from my 1911 to my Glock 34 periodically. I can tell you this the Glock is a much more effective combat type pistol over even a tricked out 1911.

Whip

Participant

I’m not a “glock fan” per’se. But I own a G38 (mid sized frame, .45GAP round). I didn’t buy the gun because I like glock, but I researched the round and wanted something to shoot it… I had 2 choices Glock (hece GAP… Glock Automatic Pistol) or Springfield Armory XD. I chose the glock because it just made more sense to me.

Now my feelings about Glock. I think they are ugly, but that gun shoots. I’m very comfortable with it, the sight alignment is very natural for me, and it’s accurate. I’ve considered carrying it, but have other options that are a little easier for me. I don’t have any intentions in buying a Glock just to shoot for fun, but if the right deal came around I would probably snatch it up.

Participant

I absolutely love the glock 23 I have. It fits right in hand and felt the most natural when I was searching for a handgun to shoot. Good luck in your search. I agree with other posters though, you need to if possible shoot before you buy.

Participant

Quote by: drof99

I agree with the others. You should try to shoot one of those before actually buying. If you can’t get that done I’d head to a local shop and put your hands on several different handguns. I was all set to buy a Glock myself……until I actually held one. The Glock’s grip angle just didn’t feel comfortable to me. I had also been eyeing a Springfield and that felt much more comfortable in my hands. Get your hands on a couple a see what you like before just dropping your coin on one. Good luck!

X2

Walked in to the gun shop with checkbook in hand, I was going to buy a Glock. Had my mind made up – it’s the “tried and true” and “popular” and all of that jazz.

Guy behind the counter laid three guns in front of me, all chambered in .40. Glock, Springfield XD, and Smith & Wesson M&P. Of course, I picked up the Glock first. Then the Springfield – a buddy of mine had one, and I had shot it a couple times. Then I picked up the Smith. I won’t touch a Glock now.

Yeah, it’s the ‘tried and true’ and all that BS. But the grip feels like it was carved out of a block of wood – it just feels completely unnatural in my hand. The Springfield was a little better (this was before the XDM line), and the Smith…well, just felt natural.

I’ve put about 3,000 rounds downrange with the Smith, and the only failure to fire was with one of my first batches of reloads, so I’m blaming that on me instead of the gun.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

Quote by: Whip

I have been a Glock fan for a long time. The Glock 23 is a good compromise between the 22 and the 27. I have all three and prefer the 27 for carry. It fits nicely in a pocket or in the waistband holster and is easy to conceal. My only advice to help control the gun is to buy a magazine extension that also gives you a place for your little finger. It makes shooting the 27 much easier and expands mag capacity by a couple of rounds. A glock 26 in 9mm is much easier to control but I like the advantages of the .40. With good Law Enforcement grade ammo like the Speer Gold Dot the Glock 27 .40 S&W is harder to handle. But I doubt if I really need it I will feel any recoil.

First time I picked up a Glock I felt the same way as Drof99 but after putting 500 rounds through one with some coaching I have a hard time shooting anything else. I shoot competitively and switch from my 1911 to my Glock 34 periodically. I can tell you this the Glock is a much more effective combat type pistol over even a tricked out 1911.

If you llike the pinky extension on your G27, you should consider the GAP baseplates from http://www.concealablecontrol.com/
    They are worth their weight in gold.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.