Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting getting burnt on public land

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

today i was pressed down in a branch ground blind at chichaqua a little after 5pm. about 6:15 i had 3 does all hanging over some clover about 70 yards off from where i was and they were slowly working thier way my direction. they were about 45-50 yards out about 6:50 when i heard some heavy crunching over my left shoulder. i thought to myself that there must be a big buck behind me. i slowly turn to my left to see this guy walking in on his stand at 10 minutes ’till 7pm. his stand is a good 40 yards off in the timber overlooking the field. as he starts to climb his stand the does bust him and disappear. i stand up and thank him for burning my hunt and hoof it back to my truck.

really, who tries to go into their stand in the last 20 minutes of shooting time?

Participant

Has happened to me more than once, have also had guys walk by me 30mins after sun rise, walk 20yds from me and stand next to a tree. I just love it

Participant

Sorry to hear that, public ground, stuff happens.

Participant

I hunt mostly public ground, and I have gotten to the point where I expect something like this to happen to me at least one time a year.
    It pretty much goes with the territory.
    As much as it sucks, at least the deer didn’t peg your location.

Participant

One of my neighbors that is new to bowhunting says hed give anything just to get a shot at a deer with his bow. Last time I seen him in a field getting ready to go out, I pulled in to see what was up and he got out of the truck with a bright orange sweatshirt,camo pants, a cigarette in his mouth and it was 10:00 am about a week ago. I thought for sure he had just got done hunting and maybe had shot one but nope he was headed to his stand for a couple hours. 😯

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant

Quote by: mrbuildit

today i was pressed down in a branch ground blind at chichaqua a little after 5pm. about 6:15 i had 3 does all hanging over some clover about 70 yards off from where i was and they were slowly working thier way my direction. they were about 45-50 yards out about 6:50 when i heard some heavy crunching over my left shoulder. i thought to myself that there must be a big buck behind me. i slowly turn to my left to see this guy walking in on his stand at 10 minutes ’till 7pm. his stand is a good 40 yards off in the timber overlooking the field. as he starts to climb his stand the does bust him and disappear. i stand up and thank him for burning my hunt and hoof it back to my truck.

really, who tries to go into their stand in the last 20 minutes of shooting time?

I feel for you guys that hunt public land and all the stories like yours or the stories of stolen stands. A few days ago I made an offer on here to take someone to my place to hunt in one of my stands on private land and would be willing to do so again, maybe some afternoon next week.

PM me if you are interested or anyone else. I live in Urbandale and my place is in Madison County.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant

Sucks but he didn’t know you were there and land is public. I would have stayed in stand till went dark. You never know what could still be coming out at that time. Dude may have just gotten off work and wanted to hit his stand, although not very bright, at all.

Participant

I find that when it gets colder and the snow starts to fly I start to get the public land to myself. Most are just average guys looking to score on a deer. Some have no Idea how to go about that. To bad they did not have the same role models and trainers most of us had. I have been fairly lucky other then there is a large pond about 200 yards from my stand and the duck hunters are just booming away there in the morning. Funny it does not seem to effect the deer much.

Dmac

nater3nater3
    Participant

Last night on public ground I had two guys jogging through the woods about 50 yds apart yelling back and forth to each other for about an hour. I still ended up seeing one doe right at dark, but she was too far out to get a shot. ISU also regularly brings their biology class out into the woods every year during early muzzleloader season. They march all of these students through the woods dressed in gray and brown sweatshirts as though they are almost trying to get a student shot. We have confronted the professor that takes them out and told him year after year that they should get the students some cheap orange vests to throw over their clothes if they are going to be walking around the woods during early muzzleloader season, but they don’t care. It almost seems intentional on their part.

Participant

i fulliy understand the public land part but the fact that someone thinks they can crunch through the trees to their stand at 10 till 7 surprises the heck out of me.

Participant

Ya it sucks but what can you do, people have the right just as much as we do to be there. I shot a decent buck a few years back and 20 minutes later had a guy walk across the field in front of me and walk up the trail the buck ran down. I thought for sure he would kick up the blood trail and make it hard to find. The worse part of it was that he parked right beside me. We followed the blood trail about 45 min. later and it led us right by his stand. We lost blood and didn’t know we were near him and he hollers ” There is blood up here” Sure enough the buck lay 30 yards past his stand. So at least he was nice enough to point us in the right direction lol

Participant

Quote by: nater3

Last night on public ground I had two guys jogging through the woods about 50 yds apart yelling back and forth to each other for about an hour. I still ended up seeing one doe right at dark, but she was too far out to get a shot. ISU also regularly brings their biology class out into the woods every year during early muzzleloader season. They march all of these students through the woods dressed in gray and brown sweatshirts as though they are almost trying to get a student shot. We have confronted the professor that takes them out and told him year after year that they should get the students some cheap orange vests to throw over their clothes if they are going to be walking around the woods during early muzzleloader season, but they don’t care. It almost seems intentional on their part.

If what you say is true, I am sure that someone in ISU administration would be able to deal with the problem, as it is a student safety concern. You must know the Prof’s name by now so report them. If ISU is unwilling to rectify the situation perhaps the media would be another course.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.