Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Garmin Alpha TT10 Collar Stolen Right Off my Dog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had someone stop one of my pups on the road as she was coming out of some timber just to take the tracking collar off her neck and turned her back in. I saw the vehicle from a distance and when I noticed that I immediately lost signal on the collar, I raced over there and that person must have shut it off. If any of my fellow hunters come across someone trying to sell an Alpha TT10 collar, please shoot me a message. It was registered through Garmin and I have reported it stolen. I do have some distinguishing marks on the collar, a brand if you will so i recognize my own. I’m sure posting this message isn’t going to get my collar back but they are not cheap and the whole event has got me rather upset. It is what it is, but as my grandpa used to tell me…”even the sun shines on a dog’s ass some days”…so I might get lucky.
    Thanks a lot,

Participant

Tough break Ruger. Hope you catch the thief.

Participant

Very very sorry to hear that happened. I can only say that I am glad they did swipe the dog.

I hadnt thought that we(us hunters) run some pretty pricey equipment on our hounds. Not once did it ever cross my mind that someone would call my dog over and take the gear. Now we have to teach our dogs about stranger danger?

Is there anyway that Garmin can help?

Participant

I called Garmin and reported it stolen. However, I was disappointed with their response. They said that there isnt much they can do. They even told me that if the thief sends in the collar to be fixed, they will fix it without any questions asked. I guess the maintenance department doesn’t even look at the serial numbers when they fix stuff so the Garmin representative told me that they will not even know if it was stolen. Plausible deniability.
    I would think that they would be able to use modern technology to catch stolen equipment from being serviced…I must be expecting too much out of a global company that has to have a way of global communication between it’s internal pieces.
    kind of bummed out over the whole thing.

Participant

Yeah, I would have to say that is pretty piss poor service. But, they have us by the short hairs. I can imagine running my dogs without the collars now. Just puts u at ease in thick cover.
    I would maybe post this on some spots like Gundog forum, versatile dogs forum. Just a head up where itm ay get sold.

Participant

where were you hunting? Do you think you might recognize the vehicle that stopped your dog?
    I think it would be pretty cool if the dumb arse was to turn the collar back on and you were near or with in range 😈
    contact your county game warden, let them know, perhaps the thief will get busted doing something else, or is already on a watch list?
    Knock on some doors in the area in where you were hunting,
    maybe some knows of that vehicle or the perp lives around that “neck of the woods”
    If they are caught, charge them with as much as you can, interfearence with your hunting rights, for one.
    NOTHING MORE I HATE THAN A THIEF !

Participant

Ruger let me know where you were at and I post a message on my Facebook account.

Participant

I’d also be checking local pawn shops, craigslist and ebay… To me that seems pretty brazen…

Participant

I have posted on here and Vargy’s coyote hunting website. I also told a coon hunting buddy of mine so I am sure he will be watching those websites.
    I was just east of Cambridge Iowa…between Cambridge and Maxwell.

After I found the dog and got her back in the box…I kept hunting and was hoping he or she would turn the collar back on so I could get another signal on it…no such luck. We stopped by and talked to the local land owners, gave them the vehicle description and they promise to stop anyone fitting that vehicle description to question them. Land owner was pretty upset as well!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Participant

Sounds like a lot of trouble for a tracking collar? I hope there is a favorable outcome.

Participant

I am sorry this happens to anybody. I am wondering if might have not been a true thief in the worst sence. I wonder if it might have been an animal rights goofball thinking they were taking a shock collar off of a dog not even seeing you or knowing what they have as you need the part you still have to make it work. Just an idea, hope you have some luck getting it back!

Participant

Quote by: ihuntaboykin

I am sorry this happens to anybody. I am wondering if might have not been a true thief in the worst sence. I wonder if it might have been an animal rights goofball thinking they were taking a shock collar off of a dog not even seeing you or knowing what they have as you need the part you still have to make it work. Just an idea, hope you have some luck getting it back!

[/Q

That would have to be one educated activist. The gps collars have a button to turn them on and off. You have to be quick to peel the collar off the dog and get it turned off for it to disappear off the handheld. What area do you hunt? I run dogs anywhere from iowa city south towards Bloomfield to Moravia. I’ll keep my eyes out but need some specifics. What color was the collar. What was the vehicle. Where were you.

Participant

This just makes me sick reading this. I don’t understand why people can’t leave what isn’t theirs alone. Just keep eyes and ears open someone is bound to brag about it. I wish you the best of luck on getting it back.

Participant

Don’t forget to check the pawn shops. Ames and north side of Des Moines at least (based on where they stole it from you). Believe it or not, these type of people typically don’t stray too far from home. They like familiar territory.

I had a similar type of situation. I left a Eberlestock backpack in the back seat of my truck parked a 100yds into private property. Heard the vehicle drive in and leave, but couldn’t get back in time. Found it at a pawn shop two days later. The guy sold it back to me for the price he paid the prick that stole it.

Good luck.

Participant

Heard this same vehicle is being looked for in the Collins area as well.
    Not sure what for, but I guess Im not the only one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.