Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Fur stretching

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking for someone to put up some coyotes and ect. Or in the market for some stretchers.
    Southern iowa to Des moines area.

WhipWhip
    Participant

About 10 years ago I did a post on here about building wood stretchers for coyotes. They are easy to build and work great. But I don’t have my pictures anymore since photo bucket shut down. Here is one I found that is similar.

Whip

Participant

I liked to flesh/scrape my hides soon as possible after getting them on stretchers.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I have a few like that which I still use and were made by my grandpa.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

How many do you have that need to be done?

WhipWhip
    Participant

The process is pretty simple skin and freeze until your ready to stretch. I would then thaw, flesh, sew up holes, wash with a few drops of dawn in the water or if you have an extra washing machine run them on gentle. Don’t use your wifes machine unless you want a divorce. I would then throw them in the dryer for 30 mins to get rid of excess water in the hair. Also don’t use regular dryer or the Big D word might get discussed. If your doing them in a bucket and simply wring them dry works just as well and leads to a better marriage. Put them on the stretcher flesh side out and allow to dry until its firm to the touch on the outside then about 3 or 4 days depending on where they are drying. Then remove from stretcher and reverse them so the hair is on the outside. If they are too dry to turn use a spray bottle with water to wet them down a little so they don’t crack out. Wet and wait a few hours and turn. Always sell them fur side out. Brush them out and cut off lower jaw also.

Whip

Participant

Quote by: REDBONE

around 80 coyotes yet.

Participant

Quote by: Whip

The process is pretty simple skin and freeze until your ready to stretch. I would then thaw, flesh, sew up holes, wash with a few drops of dawn in the water or if you have an extra washing machine run them on gentle. Don’t use your wifes machine unless you want a divorce. I would then throw them in the dryer for 30 mins to get rid of excess water in the hair. Also don’t use regular dryer or the Big D word might get discussed. If your doing them in a bucket and simply wring them dry works just as well and leads to a better marriage. Put them on the stretcher flesh side out and allow to dry until its firm to the touch on the outside then about 3 or 4 days depending on where they are drying. Then remove from stretcher and reverse them so the hair is on the outside. If they are too dry to turn use a spray bottle with water to wet them down a little so they don’t crack out. Wet and wait a few hours and turn. Always sell them fur side out. Brush them out and cut off lower jaw also.

Thanks. I know how to do it just do not have the time or wanting unless I have to.
    I get all my fur tanned so I just need them stretched and dried skin side out! no need to turn them

Participant

That’s a few more than I have time for. Contact Bruce Rhodes at Backwater bait. He does put up.

Participant

Quote by: wallydiver

Quote by: REDBONE

around 80 coyotes yet.

Wow, that is quite a few! Over how long of a time span did you get them? Hunting or trapping? In Iowa?

Participant

Trapped them this year in iowa.

Participant

Quote by: wallydiver

Trapped them this year in iowa.

That is very impressive! Tried to get one myself this past trapping season, but was unsuccessful. I didn’t venture very far or very often, though. Any tips or suggestions? Do you mind sharing a bit on what has been working for you?

Participant

Caught most in dirt holes and post sets. Location is the biggest factor for canines.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.