Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Fur Handling fur buyers in central iowa?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Who are people in central iowa selling to?

I’ve sold to gfco the last couple of years and planning to sell to someone different this year, and they don’t appear to be running routes to central iowa this year anyway, based on their new/current map.

later,

scruffy

Whip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have been sending my stuff to nafa north American fur auction with a couple of local trappers. We combine our furs. It isn’t worth it for a couple of furs but combined it has worked well. Peska fur buyers was who I sold to before also. They were fair.

Whip

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Far as I know Gronewald is the only one with a route to central Iowa. North Ia Fur out of Fredericksburg  doesn’t `have a route that comes to central Ia.  Believe Jim Smith out of Tama isn’t in the business anymore either. I’ve used the Gronewald when he came to Hubbard and don’t think I could prep things the way NAFT would want them.  Scruf you’s and me be a dying breed.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Finns
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Haven’t been to Mount Ayr in awhile but used to be one on the west side of town.

scruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

since i posted this gfco posted central iowa routes.  one before Christmas and one after everything has closed.  Given the last two years I’ve sold to gfco, and comparing that to having sold to many other fur buyers over the years, I’ll keep looking for an alternative.

Like if the guy around bedford is still buying (i sold to him a number of years ago when i was hunting a day around there) i could see myself headed that direction for a day of calling, and then swing in to unload whatever I’ve accumulated in the freezer.  Or do something similar and go to another buyer.

Thanks for the responses!

later,

scruffy

scruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

thought I’d pass this along, gfco has put out an update that they are suspending all their routes until further notice, with more information coming out in December.  North Iowa Fur Company also isn’t running routes this year, unless things change in the market.  I can see with the price of fuel, it just isn’t worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.