Home Forums Hunting Artifacts and Finds Found while shed hunting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I hunt in jones county, close to the border of jackson co. and i was walkin along a creek looking for sheds last friday and saw this boney lookin thing sticking out of the mud a little bit. i gave it a kick and this huge bone came out of the mud. I think it’s a leg bone of some sort. my dad said it was a cow bone, but i just wanted to share the pics on here and see what it is for sure.

i took a pic of it by a quarter so you could tell the size of this thing. it probably weighs about 5 pounds.

matt g
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Its a bison bone. Hard to tell the species without handling it. It could be less than 300 years old or it could be 100,000 years old plus………they are found at nearly all levels in Iowa Quaternary stratigraphy. Looks like a right femur.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~lctodd/femurfm.htm

Matt

Wolfdog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think you are right. nice find.

JRD
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Matt, thanks for supporting your answer, Had me guessing as well.

khughes2345
    Participant
    Up
    Down

really? i told my dad i found a dinosaur bone, i was just jokin with him, but thats kinda cool it’s a bison bone and not a cow leg like he said. i thought it didn’t look like a cow bone because it’s too big and not the right kinda shape. thanks for the help guys!

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That is cool Last summer i came across a whole sandbar on the little sioux that was littered with bones like that. I saved a few figuring that they were just cow bones but now I might take another look at them in the garage and talk to some people in the know

whiterook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Left Femur bone.

walleye wisdom
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Living on the Raccoon River west of Adel, i found all kinds of bones, which i figured were just cow bones, but now thinking back on it, i wish i would have collected a few…

khughes2345
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im going back to my spot again tomorrow, ill take my camera this time. im going to look up on bluffs and higher grounds for some more artifacts, but i really wanna find a few sheds! any tips???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.