Home Forums Miscellaneous Food Plot/Habitat Management Food Plots on CRP Land

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can I put a food plot on CRP land? I have a small 3 acre portion on my land that’s in CRP but I don’t believe it’s been mowed or re-seeded in many years. It has been over taken by Cedar trees too. I have a large 40 acre CRP field that’s on another portion of my land that has been re-seeded and the Cedars removed within the last 5 years.

I have owned this land for just a few years.

Thanks

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant

You need to contact your local county NRCS office with your questions.

Participant

Quote by: jalariso

You need to contact your local county NRCS office with your questions.

Yup I am not an expert in this but I have looked into it a little. Each contract is different and some of them allow for a small percentage of the CRP to be food crop.

Participant

^^ What they said.
    Also, odds are you will have to clean up the 3 acre piece. They get a little grumpy sometimes when CRP is getting over run with trees.

Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

^^ What they said.
    Also, odds are you will have to clean up the 3 acre piece. They get a little grumpy sometimes when CRP is getting over run with trees.

Yup but I think it is one of those things that they let go bad until you have to redo your contract or it sells. I was looking at buying a piece close to my house. In fact they accepted my offer then it fell through, long story.

It has a 26 acres of CRP but half of it was thick with Willows. I was planning on having to rent a machine and clear it out prior to redoing the contract. They said a little is ok but when you can barely walk through it I am pretty sure it would have had to be redone.

Participant

How big are the Cedar Trees? Maybe burn off the patch. Or mow it all down with a bushhog.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I don’t know the start date but it can’t be mowed until sometime in August at least that’s what I’m familiar with.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

How big are the Cedar Trees? Maybe burn off the patch. Or mow it all down with a bushhog.

I’d have to use a chainsaw to cut down a lot the cedars.

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant

You will want to remove those trees especially if your intention for your CRP ground is to produce pheasant habitat. Trees provide places for birds of prey to roost and hunt from. There is a “newer’ conservation program called edging or feather edging (i think that is what it is called) where they pay you to cut down trees along the edge of CRP or even crop ground and leave them lay. This provides additional habitat as grasses grow in and around branches of the downed tree. It also provides an area for young pheasants to gather insects under the shelter of the downed tree. It is a technique often used to create transition zones between CRP and timber. My point is, cutting down those trees and leaving them lay might get you some additional money or at least provide some additional habitat on the ground. I saw a presentation by the DNR at a conference about 5 years ago on this so I don’t remember all the exact specifics. But it might be worth looking into.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.