Home Forums Miscellaneous Food Plot/Habitat Management Food Plots on CRP Enrolled Land

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So… I am looking at implementing a few food plots this year to help my deer heard. However, the land that I am on, and the area that I am looking to plant them in is enrolled in the CRP program with the dnr. I’ve tried doing some research but haven’t found anything helpful. What are the rules on planting plots in this area. Is a certain percentage to the crp total? Or can I not plant any at all? I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Participant

It is a percentage of the total acres of the CRP field. It has to be planted by May 15 for ground nesting birds. You have to contact the FSA office for your county and they approve the size of food plot and are supposed to check your field to make sure you are in compliance but have never checked mine.

Participant

Food plots are only allowed on eligible CRP contracts. Call your USDA service center to confirm you can install them before you even break the ground. If you plant them and your specific contract isn’t eligible you will likely see a reduction in annual rental payment at a minimum.

The farm I manage for a family member has more than 60 acres in CRP and NONE OF IT is eligible for food plots.

“…check yourself before you wreck yourself…” 😉

***EDIT***

You mentioned that this land in in the “CRP program with the DNR”. Are you referring to IHAP? If so, this program is administered by the DNR and I would talk to your local CO first.

Participant

It depends on the program you are signed up for. I was in general sign up for 20 yrs, and food plots were ok. Now I have signed up for the pollinator program, and they say no more food plots.

Participant

x2 Diver

Participant

I appreciate all the input. I guess I have a few phone calls to make to see what I can and can not do!

Participant

Quote by: CBrad57

So… I am looking at implementing a few food plots this year to help my deer heard. However, the land that I am on, and the area that I am looking to plant them in is enrolled in the CRP program with the dnr. I’ve tried doing some research but haven’t found anything helpful. What are the rules on planting plots in this area. Is a certain percentage to the crp total? Or can I not plant any at all? I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Is it your land? You should have a contract that will spell out what you can and cannot do in the way of food plots…and other things too. It is common for CRP contracts to allow up to 10% of the CRP acres to be used as food plots…HOWEVER…that is just a generality and your specific contract will describe what you can do. No one can reliably answer this question for you on a site like this without the specific contract to review. Even where plots are allowed you are likely to have to review them in advance with the governing agency, like the NRCS.

If it is not your land, you will still need to refer to the contract, but that could be something that a landowner may not want to share with you and/or take, or allow you to take, any risk with on his land. It if it isn’t your land, then I would not plan on anything until meeting with the owner and reviewing your ideas with him/her.

Participant

x2 Daver

If you don’t own the land, the FSA will require that the landowner/contract owner grant you permission to discuss any specifics about the property. Without it, they cannot share due to privacy rules.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.