Food Plot ? 2018-06-27T01:34:47+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Food Plot ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I started a clover plot this year. Has anyone tried spreading turnips in the plot?

Live to hunt, hunt to live

e.fork-walleye
    Participant

We don’t plant any turnips until mid-late August.  Currently one food plot has 3 or 4 foot of water on it and the other one has water right up to the edge.

twdenney
    Participant

Clover will probably shade out the turnips…..I am saying probably for a disclaimer to the flamer…it all depends on seeding rates of both plants and it also it heavily dependent on soil nutrients and weed control.  I do not know what area that you are in but clover is a very poor choice in my area because there is a lot of clover and alfalfa available already from hay ground,  the best that works for me in my area is rape and turnips seeded together in appropriate rates so there is rape there during bow season and turnips for late muzzy.  Both brassicas respond well to lots of urea.  The only thing better I have found for late muzzy is standing corn.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  twdenney.
    hairscales
    Participant

I usually do turnips in August as well but my fear was the shading of the clover by the turnips or the other way around. Maybe a bad idea I was just thinking of how I could have good bow season attraction and late season attraction. While keeping the clover and since the clover has already been established.

Live to hunt, hunt to live

Crappie Kid2
    Participant

Has anyone tried broadcasting brassicas in standing soybeans just as they begin to yellow? Any success? Assuming it would be very precipitation dependent.

e.fork-walleye
    Participant

I forgot to add on my earlier post, we also plant rye grass in with the turnips so they have something to go after in the early season.  Last year we screwed up and got the rye grass too thick and choked out the turnips.  But prior to that, it has worked really well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.