Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting food plot?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thinking about putting in a food plot this spring/summer. I am looking for any direction anyone can send me in to start.

Participant
    Up
    Down

spring plot i say a good clover. ive had deer nearly wipe mine out april may and june.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would agree, clover or alphalfa are excellent food plots. They can be a little more expensive to put in and maintain. They key is soil PH, it needs to be 6.5 and to achieve this you may need to apply lime to your fields. Before you buy your seed, take from your field soils samples. Select at least 6 locations in the field food plot. Dig down through the grasses and weeds, until you reach dirt – 3 – 4 inches. Put about a 1/4 of dirt in a paper bag. Then do the same in five other locations, putting all the dirt in the same bag. Take the dirt to your local Ag Coop and ask them to due a soil test. This may cost $20, but it will tell you what the soil needs to grow a good crop of clover or alphalfa.

The other cost will be the burn down. Before you disc up your field, you will want to wait until things are growing good, then spray the entire field with Round Up to kill everything off. Once sprayed let it stand 10 days and it should all be brown. Now it’s time to disc, I disc twice; after my first discing I wait three days and disc again and add the minerals and lime the Coop recommends.

Ag lime, to bring the soil PH to the necassary level takes some equipment; loader and spreader. We use pell lime, it’s a pelletized lime that the Coop can load into a spreader for you, mixing it with phosphorus, pot ash and a little shot of fertilizer. Many Coops will lend you there spreader when you buy their products, if not, the cost to rent the spreader is real cheap. You will need a tractor or access to a farmer that can help with the spraying, discing and spreading your soil treatment. Once the soil has been treated, due a light harrowing, building your seed bed, now your ready to plant. You can use a hand spreader, walking along spreading the seed. Once seeded you will want to dragging a harrow or tie some large tree branches together and pull them behind an ATV or truck to brush the seed into the soil.

April is the best month to plant, with some good rains you will have a beautiful green food plot. These types of fields are a bit more costly to put in, but our last Imperial Whitetail Clover field lasted 6 years. The only thing we did to maintain was add pell lime every year and mowed the field twice a year. It will look like heck once you mow it, but it will come back strong. Hopes this helps, Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.