Home Forums Fishing Fly Fishing Fly tying

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am new to fly fishing. I have dabbled with this in the past fishing for Bluegills. It was fun watching them slowly rise and explode hitting that little fly.

I do understand why not many people get into this, it can be daunting. There are all sorts of different tippers, lines, sinking, floating, forward weighted. Not to mention what weight pole and line to use and what works best for which fly. Compared to #6 test, blue, green, ice line ect.

Sounds like I’m ranting, but I’m really not. Fly fishing has always intrigued me.

I have tied a few flies in the past from a kit that I purchased a many years ago.

Ok, so now to my question.

Where do you get your tying materials. Bass Pro seems to be out of allot of the stuff I’m looking for or just don’t seem to carry it. I have looked on their website. I used to get some of my stuff from 2nd Ave bait shop, but they have been closed for years.

What I’m looking for are things to tie wax worms with since I ice fish also and thought this will help me hone some skills.

Also looking for lead free wire and didn’t see any of this around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Fly tying is an addictive hobby. It is one that takes persistence and knowing that the first few attempts will end up looking like belly button lint on a hook.

One of the myths that beginners make is that you have to fish on the surface. 90% of feeding takes place underneath the water.  Therefore, begin tying simple nymph and midge patterns. They are simple to tie and very effective. Pheasant tail and zebra midge patterns are my first recommendation. They will be deadly on bluegills, crappie, bass, and just about anything that swims. I even caught a large catfish two years ago on a leech pattern.

Finding tying supplies is not difficult. If you live near Cedar Rapids, try Fin and Feather. In the Ames area, go to Jax. There are a number of retailers online that will be able to supply you as well. I like AvidMax.

Testing your patterns on panfish is a great way to refine your skills. Also, studying basic etymology is imperative in tying good flies.

It is a great hobby, particularly in the winter months and during the isolation of the pandemic.

Hope this helps.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Jchalstorm. Thanks.

I’m in the DM area. Yes, my first few don’t look great but I’m hoping they will still catch fish.

Scuds are what I’m trying to replicate.

It seems there are many different ways and materials to make them.

I’ve noticed some use UV curing on somethings instead of head cement. What is the advantages to using UV?

I may have to run up to Ames to check out Jax to see what they may have. I’m looking for the thin clear plastic that is used to wrap the bodies on some scud patterns along with ice-dub

I really don’t use on-line ordering unless I absolutely have to. People can’t keep their lights on if you don’t patronize their shops. Some with self-checkout, absolutely refuse. Those cashier’s need to pay their bills also.

Enough of my rant.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

You do not need to buy plastic casing. I cut strips of plastic from my hook packages. Scuds are hard to tie….even for those experienced. It may be worth buying a few when you are in JAX.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

You do not need to buy plastic casing. I cut strips of plastic from my hook packages. Scuds are hard to tie….even for those experienced. It may be worth buying a few when you are in JAX.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Does anyone use the UV curing stuff? And why if you do?

Or what is the advantage over regular head cement?

Participant
    Up
    Down

i use quite a lot but not only for flies.  great product. when i ran out i used crazy glue and it think it worked almost as well. and you can get it in small tubes for very little money.

Participant
    Up
    Down

most of my friends that tie are always on the look out for different materials.  try the hobby shops.  ask duck hunters to save you a skin or two.  if you know an active tier he may give you some hair that has enough good material for your needs.  material is all over and once you acquire some additional knowledge you will always be on the look out for some materials that might work for you.  thats how the big shops get new ideas and come out with new tying materials.

WhipWhip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I get hair of various kinds from the local taxidermist and save my pheasant tail feathers for nymphs. I’m fortunate to live near North Fork Anglers in Cody WY and buy most of my hooks, thread, and other needs from them. Lots of options online from Orvis.

Whip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.