Home Forums Fishing Fly Fishing Fly tying materials in the Sioux City Area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been getting into fly tying lately but I am in need of more materials. I also would like to tie a few buck tails before hitting the water this weekend. Does anyone know of places around sioux city where you can pickup some materials?

Participant

I have found nothing local, I buy my tying supplies all online.

Participant

I use eBay. It’s the best source I’ve found to buy anything related to fly tying. I figure out what I want from another website and compare prices on eBay. Usually eBay has a better price for the same thing.

Participant

Your pretty much SOL around these parts for fly tying materials, once you start going west things improve. I do the same and find what I want in magazines and on line then purchase off of ebay, I save a bunch going that route. If you pheasant hunt skin your roosters, I have several skins in the freezer and you can make a lot of different fly’s from a pheasant, same with saving a piece of deer hide.

Participant

Scheels doesnt have any?? I know in Sioux Falls the Scheels sells fly material.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

My top two online resources are 1)Jann’s Netcraft, and 2) Feathercraft Fly Fishing/Tying. Both have a great online store. Hobby Lobby and Michael’s sometimes have items you could use in a pinch, but I much prefer going to my online resources to get the right thing.

Participant

Get out and shoot a goose and a pheasant and you’re half way home.

Participant

Quote by: kenhump

Get out and shoot a goose and a pheasant and you’re half way home.

Yep add a woodduck and mallard drake and and you can not only come up with the basic models but let your imagination run wild with some really cool fly’s.

Participant

Scheels has some stuff, expensive however.

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Ankeny is the best place around for selection and price. I realize that isn’t the in the Sioux City area, but if you get in the Des Moines area you could stock up there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.