Home Forums Fishing Bass Fishing Fly Fishing?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This may be an odd question, but has anyone done any fly fishing for bass? I looked at some youtube videos of guys doin’ it and suddenly I really want to try it. It looks like its mostly poppers and stuff like that, and with the weather turning nice, topwater should be fun for the next few weeks, but I really have no idea how to begin (besides that I’ve had a fly rod sitting in the basement for years).

I live up near the IGLs, for what its worth.

gn83tm
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do it often, and have a blast;) My favorite fly is a black Dahlberg Diver which is a deer hair top water bug. I also catch a lot on larger bead head woolly buggers and you can get down a little with them. Casting those big bugs is a challenge though. Lines designed for the purpose help, but I ended up buying a Redington 8 wt Predator rod and Orvis big bug line to make things easier. Try it and have some fun.

djo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think that every bass I took this year was with a fly rod. Almost all on popppers – not because they always work better than streamers but because they are always more fun. Sometimes the bug just disappears as a bass sucks it under and sometimes the bass explode on thesurface grabbing the popper. Since the fish is right at the surface multiple jumps are expected. The physics of a fly rod give the fish all the advantage and little bass fight like giants. I like both corl bodied poppers and foam poppers like the Gartside gurglers. Streamers also work for me – particularly for smallies. I usually use green ans white or pink and white Clouser deep minnows. Also blakwollu buggers are a standard.
    David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.