Home Forums Fishing Fly Fishing Fly Fishing for Crappies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I just watched some Youtube videos on spring crappie. They mentioned that fly fishing will out produce any other method using chironomidae fly’s. Does anyone have experience using this technique?

Thanks

Participant
    Up
    Down

This is the video series. It is worth the watch.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you are interested, there is a great book out there by Terry and Roxanne Wilson. They are from Missouri, and are known among warm water anglers here in the midwest. They have presented (I believe) at the annual HFFA show. They do have a book on fly fishing for crappies, bluegills, and for bass as well…great resource of information. You might also want to chck out Ward Bean’s Website- http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/ , Ward is a great guy who hails from the Sioux City area if memory serves me right. If you live in the Cedar Rapids area, you also might want to check into Mike Jacob’s fly tying class, which is going on right now at Kennedy High School on Tuesday nights. That group of people is a wealth of knowledge on warm water fly angling, they have taught me a LOT over the years.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

If you are interested, there is a great book out there by Terry and Roxanne Wilson. They are from Missouri, and are known among warm water anglers here in the midwest. They have presented (I believe) at the annual HFFA show. They do have a book on fly fishing for crappies, bluegills, and for bass as well…great resource of information. You might also want to chck out Ward Bean’s Website- http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/ , Ward is a great guy who hails from the Sioux City area if memory serves me right. If you live in the Cedar Rapids area, you also might want to check into Mike Jacob’s fly tying class, which is going on right now at Kennedy High School on Tuesday nights. That group of people is a wealth of knowledge on warm water fly angling, they have taught me a LOT over the years.

Thanks for the reply. This group rocks. I will look the group that meets at Kennedy.

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: nugefishes

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

Thanks for the reply. This group rocks. I will look the group that meets at Kennedy.

I know that the fly tying class ends this month at some point. I would have done it this year, but I had to take on a second job to finance my hobbies…add to the “war chest” you could say. The class usually runs from January to the end of March on Tuesday nights, it’s been going on for years like this. There is a bit of a protocal to getting in on the class. Mike and his wife work pretty hard each week to make the “kits’ for each weeks class so if you do plan on going, make arrangements ahead of time- he’s pretty particular about that- he needs to know how many kits to make each week for the class.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.