Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Florida mass shooting

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What we are seeing here IMHO, is the decay of civilization from within. The morals of this nation have been slowly altered/erased over the last several decades. It has been taught to our children so that they question or even reject the teachings that their parents hand down. Parents are taught to redirect, not correct bad behavior. Kids aren’t bad, they make bad choices. Shootings like this are just one symptom of the overall problem. Social media is part of the issue,it allows even the most radical ideas to have followers and no consequences from the keyboard side. Unfortunately solutions to this are going to take as long to resolve it as it took to create the problems. It will require a hard look at our children and grandchildren and how they are raised and educated. More parents will have to take a more active role in the education and raising of those kids. Trust yourselves on what is right and wrong, don’t allow someone else to insert their morals into the vacuum. Enough of the soap box, there are no easy answers there are no quick solutions, there are a lot of opinions.

Participant

Quote by: mhock

Makes me wonder how many students were killed in the lat 10 years by fires. I only mention this because so much thought is put into fire codes that are mandated during construction. Important of course, but are we even looking at trying to help prevent some of these incidents through building design? If not, it should be looked at.

true, but one thing to consider, a fire is usually contained to one area and not out to kill you. You can walk by a room on fire and it won’t come and get you, but I get your point about any construction and better education on the subject. We’ve done some ALICE training and it’s different than just shelter and hide. There’s better types of locks for classroom doors, but most classroom doors have glass in them which can be broken. I see the one of the biggest changes the last few years is violent video games, social media and having 24 hour news channels that go on a on when things like this happens. Most of the bullying in schools is done through social media versus face to face because cowards can hide behind a key board and say anything they want.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

So let me get this straight, my job as a parent does not apply to my kids at school and it’s the government’s job to protect them when they are there?

Well, as long as there are truancy laws that compel kids to be at school, I think the state should bear some responsibility for their safety. As a parent, your other option is home schooling. Your kids go on a field trip from school, they bring home a form for you to sign releasing the school of liability, right? By sending out those forms, the schools are acknowledging they have a role in your child’s safety.

I go to the courthouse, I have to walk through metal detectors. When visiting the state capitol, I need to pass through security to visit the chambers to see my legislators in action. Along with schools, they are all public buildings. Don’t our kids deserve the protection (or more) that judges and elected officials get?

In no way do I want our schools to become “prisons”, but being gun free zones, those there are sitting ducks.

Participant

Quote by: jnrbronc

So let me get this straight, my job as a parent does not apply to my kids at school and it’s the government’s job to protect them when they are there?

Well, as long as there are truancy laws that compel kids to be at school, I think the state should bear some responsibility for their safety. As a parent, your other option is home schooling. Your kids go on a field trip from school, they bring home a form for you to sign releasing the school of liability, right? By sending out those forms, the schools are acknowledging they have a role in your child’s safety.

I go to the courthouse, I have to walk through metal detectors. When visiting the state capitol, I need to pass through security to visit the chambers to see my legislators in action. Along with schools, they are all public buildings. Don’t our kids deserve the protection (or more) that judges and elected officials get?

In no way do I want our schools to become “prisons”, but being gun free zones, those there are sitting ducks.

X2

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quote by: doubledrop

What we are seeing here IMHO, is the decay of civilization from within. The morals of this nation have been slowly altered/erased over the last several decades. It has been taught to our children so that they question or even reject the teachings that their parents hand down. Parents are taught to redirect, not correct bad behavior. Kids aren’t bad, they make bad choices. Shootings like this are just one symptom of the overall problem. Social media is part of the issue,it allows even the most radical ideas to have followers and no consequences from the keyboard side. Unfortunately solutions to this are going to take as long to resolve it as it took to create the problems. It will require a hard look at our children and grandchildren and how they are raised and educated. More parents will have to take a more active role in the education and raising of those kids. Trust yourselves on what is right and wrong, don’t allow someone else to insert their morals into the vacuum. Enough of the soap box, there are no easy answers there are no quick solutions, there are a lot of opinions.

I agree with this statement especially the social media. Like I said in an earlier post, I believe that is where a portion of the root of the problem lies. Riots, Protests, Killings, Gangs, Terrorism all gain a lot of traction through social media, there is no policing on it. People can pretty much do/say what they want with no consequences via social media.

Participant

Why can’t we be like Canada? Do they have more guns to keep them safe? Are they more Godly? Do they not have social media? Do they not play violent video games?

Or what about Australia?

Eh?

Participant

I’m in the age range that I remember when The Paddle was removed from my school. I got a few licks with it when I was a young kid, and should have gotten quite a few more as an older kid. By the time I graduated HS, I personally noticed a large change in the disciplinary actions at my school and recognized the increase in students bad behavior in direct correlation with it. I graduated in the early 90’s, and it was getting pretty bad then. Today, it’s absolutely ridiculous what kids get away with.

This is only one of the many REASONS for these types of evils (e.g. mass school shootings) today, and WE ARE ALL responsible.

It’s impossible to legislate away evil. Proper love, compassion, education, discipline, etc. is necessary from the cradle to the grave; being especially important during childhood, is all necessary to combat evil. WE have become LAZY. We have traded disciplining our children, and teaching them right from wrong, for being friends with our children. Until WE step up to the plate, begin putting in the necessary time and the work again, and DOING THE RIGHT THING, the morality of our society will continue to decay.

What’s your family/home environment like? Have kids out of wedlock? Married to the mother/father of your children? How much time do your kids spend watching TV, sitting in front of a computer, smartphone, or other device in a given day/week? Got any idea what they’re absorbed in? When was the last time you read a book to your kids? Do you eat meals together? What do you talk about? What types of people do your kids hang around with? Etc. Etc. In general, as a society, we give birth to a lot of perfect babies, but we’re LAZY and fall short in raising them to become good men and women. (Site rules prohibit us from talking religion, so I’m staying off of that soapbox.)

These are words that probably don’t sit well with may of us, me included. But, it’s the truth, and it needs to be heard.

Until WE do what WE need to do to change our society in general, one child/family at a time, equipping ourselves with proper DEFENSES is our best bet to protect ourselves from the evils of one another.

Participant

Canada does not have corporate punishment in school

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: Mr.+Twister

Canada does not have corporate punishment in school

Corporate punishment? Is that where the CEO takes your stocks and docks you pay for a week?

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

No. Nice attempt at comedy on a funny issue.

Blocked

Well, it’s hard to take people seriously when they don’t understand the words they are using, I believe you are looking for “corporal” punishment. Also, anytime people compare a different countries statistics they always leave out all the other statistics, demographics, geographic, political, historical, economical, technological, etc., so it’s pretty much a waste of time. BTW, ever been to Vancouver? It’s a S-hole.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Well, it’s hard to take people seriously when they don’t understand the words they are using, I believe you are looking for “corporal” punishment. Also, anytime people compare a different countries statistics they always leave out all the other statistics, demographics, geographic, political, historical, economical, technological, etc., so it’s pretty much a waste of time. BTW, ever been to Vancouver? It’s a S-hole.

I haven’t agreed with much of what you’ve said on this llewellinsetter, but X2 on this one.

Participant

Yes you are right. My bad. Now if that apology for my grammar error (you should check your grammar also since we are on that track) now allows you to be serious about the question of why Canada is different then please educate me.

JefroJefro
    Participant

Quote by: dogdown

Quote by: quailslayer

The problem is mental health hands down, how many of these lunatics were prescribed mental heath drugs. We need to really think about HIPPA and make mental heath a flag on the background check when applying to purchase a gun. You got a mental issue a flag goes up on the background check no purchase allowed. Now that being said we as gun owners need to make sure access is not allowed to family members with mental health issues as well.

Interested in knowing whether or not the kid had taken any of the attention deficit disorder medications. Most do now a days.

Most do not actually. C’mon…

Blocked

Quote by: Mr.+Twister

Yes you are right. My bad. Now if that apology for my grammar error (you should check your grammar also since we are on that track) now allows you to be serious about the question of why Canada is different then please educate me.

I just gave you a list. Do some research, read some books, talk to some Canadians, use Google etc.

Your question, in all do respect, is a huge part of the problem in this country. Everyone wants answers but no one wants to take a path of understanding and wisdom that comes from spending time researching those answers. They just want someone to TELL THEM what the fix is. Is’ like that whole journey/destination saying, except it’s no longer the journey that matters, it’s simply the destination.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.