Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Florida mass shooting

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Quote by: quailslayer

The problem is mental health hands down, how many of these lunatics were prescribed mental heath drugs. We need to really think about HIPPA and make mental heath a flag on the background check when applying to purchase a gun. You got a mental issue a flag goes up on the background check no purchase allowed. Now that being said we as gun owners need to make sure access is not allowed to family members with mental health issues as well.

Who gets to decide what a “mental” issue is? The Va has alredy determined that if you have any form of PTSD you should lose your rights to own a firearm. Dr’s already are asking if you have guns in the house and now you want HIPPA to go away? Amazing how quickly you guys will give up your rights under the guise of safety. What was it said, “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

I never said I wanted HIPPA to go away! But I do feel mental heath should be looked at when purchasing a firearm. We live in a crazy world and DRs can prescribe some medicine with crazy side effects. Oh and its usually when they quit taking the prescribe meds when it goes wrong.

Participant

It is impossible to eradicate the CAUSES. Of course there are a ton of cultural issues that can, and should be addressed, but unfortunately, as our society continues to move away from God, our societal morality continues to erode with it, and it’s not going to stop. It’s a run-away freight train. I say, outside of your own little bubble, it’s a lost cause to attack this culturally.

Outside of launching a preemptive attack, (which is greatly frowned upon), DEFENSE is our best and most attainable option. Always has been. Always will be.

For those of you sending your children to public schools, I propose you bond together and refuse to send your kids to school until they implement systems to protect your children from a bad guy walking in the front door of the school and slaughtering them in their classrooms. I’m not saying this flippantly, I’m being sincere.

Would you send your children to a school built in a floodplain? To a school with no fire extinguishers or sprinkler system? To a school next to an active volcano? Etc… You get my point.

In this particular case, Law Enforcement, including the FBI, dropped the ball. With all of the systems currently in place, reports were made and red flags raised. This massacre should have been stopped before it ever happened.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: BrownItsDown

In this particular case, Law Enforcement, including the FBI, dropped the ball. With all of the systems currently in place, reports were made and red flags raised. This massacre should have been stopped before it ever happened.

This part I agree with, as for schools being “protected” are you going to “protect” everywhere I allow my children to go? The mall, baseball, football, little league, soccer practice? What about Church, the airport, meals from the heartland, the fair, a hospital, etc.? Nothing will ever stop a bad guy from being a bad guy.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

quailslayerquailslayer
    Participant

This part I agree with, as for schools being “protected” are you going to “protect” everywhere I allow my children to go? The mall, baseball, football, little league, soccer practice? What about Church, the airport, meals from the heartland, the fair, a hospital, etc.? Nothing will ever stop a bad guy from being a bad guy.

Sane gun owners would never target any of these places, only a mentally unstable person would. If not they are a terrorist.

Participant

No, that is your job as a parent to decide if your children are safe outside of school. Schools tend to be a “target rich environment” and as such, also being public, maybe should have some extra level of securing the occupants of the building. Most court houses have adopted metal detectors. If it’s good enough for a judge, it out to be good enough for our kids.

Participant

Quote by: jnrbronc

No, that is your job as a parent to decide if your children are safe outside of school. Schools tend to be a “target rich environment” and as such, also being public, maybe should have some extra level of securing the occupants of the building. Most court houses have adopted metal detectors. If it’s good enough for a judge, it out to be good enough for our kids.

More specifiacally, it’s a soft target. Where is someone going to go to kill unarmed people in large numbers? Schools and other “safe” zones. So laughable.

Participant

Nothing will ever stop a bad guy from being a bad guy.

People love to bring up gun violence used to be worse. It was, when you had rum runners, bootleggers, and mobsters mowing each other down with tommy guns. It was worse in Miami in the 80s with the cocaine epidemic. Worse in the 90s with the rise in urban crime and drug use.

But while less gunmen may be pulling less triggers and killing less people today, when these guys do kill it is a relatively new phenomenon to mow down as many innocent children in schools, shoppers in malls, passengers at airports, or viewers in movie theatres as possible.

Should we accept this as an inevitable truth? Because if so, having kids is rolling the dice they don’t get massacred somewhere somehow, if folks aren’t willing to combat this SOMEHOW. I’m not saying I have the answers as many folks smarter and more capable than me don’t even have them. I’ll be pro 2a forever but part of me refuses to accept children and innocents getting massacred is just the “cost of doing business” because our society is eroded.

Participant

Quote by: mhock

More specifiacally, it’s a soft target. Where is someone going to go to kill unarmed people in large numbers? Schools and other “safe” zones. So laughable.

Public Schools = No Gun / Safe Zone – Soft Targets.

If / when it’s MY kids being mandated to attend roughly 40 hours per week in an institution where they are physically confined and their freedoms are limited, (e.g. freedom to protect themselves, or avoid and escape danger, etc.), then your damn right I expect the adults running that institution to be equipped, qualified and willing to ‘protect’ my children. I am entrusting my children to their care.

I expect the same from ALL adults, I entrust with my children’s care. Don’t you?

If I’m with my children, that’s MY job.

If I trust my children to, say, go to the mall by themselves, then I’m entrusting their protection / safety to them, personally. They’ve got open space to run, hide, or attack. Hopefully ive done my job as a father to equip them for identifying and responding to dangerous situations.

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: RGR175

Quote by: river

There is a root to this problem and nobody is ever going to talk about it. Nobody

River

Apparently you won’t either. 🙄

Eh? Speak up. I can’t HEAR you. 🙄

Do you have a point? Suggestion? Solution? Contribution? Anything?

I certainly do. And thanks for questioning me. I think my point is evident, my suggestions are few, solutions are nil. I’d like to think I can contribute some how, some way. And I pray this humble post is a start. You’re smart ‘setter. I know that from reading stuff here on this site. Between you and I let’s get something started. Let’s find a fix. Let’s talk about it.

River

You point is not evident at all. Ideas are not difficult to spell out, so spell it out.

What is the root to this problem that you alluded to but did not specify. We all come from different backgrounds and upbringing. What you assume I know you should know is not always what I know you know?

So spell it out. The problem is: __________

Is it liberals? Democrats? Gun Crazies? Lack of fathers? Lack of extreme gun control? Gun culture? Non citizens? Certain races? The NRA? Gangs?

Sheesh man, just give an answer or say your idea instead of being so cryptic. We’re adults here. We can have a conversation.

I reckon you’re right. I need to be clear so first I’ll address the point I was trying to make and that was for us all to come clean. To take on the most difficult subjects and hash it all out like men/women. You know.. look evil in the eye and never blink.

“Is it liberals? Democrats? Gun Crazies? Lack of fathers? Lack of extreme gun control? Gun culture? Non citizens? Certain races? The NRA? Gangs?” Your words!. All one sided um… talking points? You’re better than that. Point for point: I’m a registered Democrat, own guns, raised my only son alone, & work almost daily with immigrants. Though I am white I have native American blood in my veins and have African American nieces. I look at people and see humans. (I had to learn that and I did).

So… Can I spell it out? “The problem is: __________” … you ask? I’ll try to answer. The problem is: We aren’t very kind these days. Be kind it can go a long ways.

With all that said I believe this entire thread is headed in the right direction. Smart, passionate, thoughtful discussion leads to understanding and enlightenment.

Peace,
    River

Participant

A freind of mine shared something today. I’m not saavy enough to make a hot link. Maybe someone else could. Google reddit student and teacher guard school.

Blocked

So let me get this straight, my job as a parent does not apply to my kids at school and it’s the governmen’s job to protect them when they are there?

I was going to respond but I’m convinced that most of you are not even following through with thinking about most of the things posted her. you just want to have things changed to reflect your temporary view of the current situation.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Blocked

Sane gun owners would never target any of these places, only a mentally unstable person would. If not they are a terrorist.

Sane, insane, mentally ill, call it what ever you like, the flavor of the day if you wish. There are people that are evil, they hate good, period, end of story. They are bad people, there will always be bad people. No amount of legislation, military involvement, HIPPA violations, will change this. If bad people want to kill they will. It is now and it always has been a reality of life and you can not fix that.

Participant

So let me get this straight, my job as a parent does not apply to my kids at school and it’s the governmen’s job to protect them when they are there?

I was going to respond but I’m convinced that most of you are not even following through with thinking about most of the things posted her. you just want to have things changed to reflect your temporary view of the current situation.

Is your position that the schools have no role in keeping kids safe? The kids in Newtown were a bit young to fend for themselves.

Participant

Sane, insane, mentally ill, call it what ever you like, the flavor of the day if you wish. There are people that are evil, they hate good, period, end of story. They are bad people, there will always be bad people. No amount of legislation, military involvement, HIPPA violations, will change this. If bad people want to kill they will. It is now and it always has been a reality of life and you can not fix that.

I agree totally with this. Sad as it is, it is true. Evil exists and it cannot be legislated away.

quailslayerquailslayer
    Participant

Discount Double Check 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.