Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Florida mass shooting

Viewing 6 posts - 181 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: mhock

Here in Boone, we were going to have a mock shooting. There was a letter sent out to the parents letting us know this was a possiblity. They were asking for volunteer students to be “actors” to play victims that would wear make up to make it realistic. This would be in conjunction with the local Police Dept and 1st responders. Never happened to the scale that was proposed because a few parents didn’t want their children to experience the trauma. Talk about missing the point of the exercise.

As a teacher, I have been through one of these with blank rounds and everything. I am not sure how much I would want students to go through. It is pretty scary stuff hearing those rounds coming down the hallway as you sit in the corner of the room and I’m not sure we need to put students through that. During our training, they told us that statistically, your children are more likely to be in a bus accident than one of these tragedies. So I am not sure we need to go full out on this training and put undo fear and memories in kids.

However, there does need to be conversations and escape plans discussed. We practice fire drills and tornado drills monthly. But we do nothing except practice “being quiet” in the place of a lock down. Students do need to know there are options and they have options. I do know that one other fear about doing these training with students is that you actually educate the bad guy. For example, we discussed having a common meeting place if we evacuated for a bomb threat. And we were told to never announce those in advance, as the bad guy could plan an attack at the meeting place. So we have 5 meeting places that only staff is aware of. Administration would tell us which one to use in the event something happens. But there does need to be “in the event of” conversations with students. I just don’t know we need flash bangs and blank rounds and bodies laying around.

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

For those that say no one is coming after anyone’s guns, the conversation on Meet the Press this morning literally referenced the fact that the only difference between the US and other countries and how we supposedly are the only country with gun violence is the 2nd Ammendment and that maybe we should look at changing that so we are more like other countries.

I spend a good chunk of time daily keeping up with the news, and I agree with what you’re saying mhock. The masses are pissed off and place total blame on the ‘evil AR Devil guns’, and the masses are growing and growing. The hypocrisy is, it’s going to take the use of guns, among other weapons, to try and confiscate our guns from us. I’m not sure how I see that one playing out in the MSM, but it’s not going to go well, that’s for certain.

Part of me thinks one of of the big reasons it’s popular to blame the gun is, then we don’t have to admit we might be part of the problem. It’s the OBJECT’S fault, not society’s.

Participant

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: BrownItsDown

For those that say no one is coming after anyone’s guns, the conversation on Meet the Press this morning literally referenced the fact that the only difference between the US and other countries and how we supposedly are the only country with gun violence is the 2nd Ammendment and that maybe we should look at changing that so we are more like other countries.

I spend a good chunk of time daily keeping up with the news, and I agree with what you’re saying mhock. The masses are pissed off and place total blame on the ‘evil AR Devil guns’, and the masses are growing and growing. The hypocrisy is, it’s going to take the use of guns, among other weapons, to try and confiscate our guns from us. I’m not sure how I see that one playing out in the MSM, but it’s not going to go well, that’s for certain.

Part of me thinks one of of the big reasons it’s popular to blame the gun is, then we don’t have to admit we might be part of the problem. It’s the OBJECT’S fault, not society’s.

Absolutely dkwolf.

Participant

A laborer operates a machine that has a safety mechanism in place to keep the operator from getting injured or killed by the machine. The safety device was designed by engineers and put in place because of previous operators being injured and killed by similar machines in the past. The operator believes that the machine poses no real danger to him/her because technology has improved so much over the years and people had evolved to be smarter and faster, so it couldn’t happen to them. If anything, the safety mechanism is cumbersome, outdated, negatively affects productivity, and is completely unnecessary. So, the operator removes the safety mechanism and is soon sucked into and killed by the machine.

The machine is our government, and the safety mechanism is our right to bear arms.

Participant

Quote by: fowl_attitude

Here in Boone, we were going to have a mock shooting. There was a letter sent out to the parents letting us know this was a possiblity. They were asking for volunteer students to be “actors” to play victims that would wear make up to make it realistic. This would be in conjunction with the local Police Dept and 1st responders. Never happened to the scale that was proposed because a few parents didn’t want their children to experience the trauma. Talk about missing the point of the exercise.

As a teacher, I have been through one of these with blank rounds and everything. I am not sure how much I would want students to go through. It is pretty scary stuff hearing those rounds coming down the hallway as you sit in the corner of the room and I’m not sure we need to put students through that. During our training, they told us that statistically, your children are more likely to be in a bus accident than one of these tragedies. So I am not sure we need to go full out on this training and put undo fear and memories in kids.

However, there does need to be conversations and escape plans discussed. We practice fire drills and tornado drills monthly. But we do nothing except practice “being quiet” in the place of a lock down. Students do need to know there are options and they have options. I do know that one other fear about doing these training with students is that you actually educate the bad guy. For example, we discussed having a common meeting place if we evacuated for a bomb threat. And we were told to never announce those in advance, as the bad guy could plan an attack at the meeting place. So we have 5 meeting places that only staff is aware of. Administration would tell us which one to use in the event something happens. But there does need to be “in the event of” conversations with students. I just don’t know we need flash bangs and blank rounds and bodies laying around.

I get your point about educating the bad guy. I was on the fire and rescue a few years back and we had an incident. Turned out to be a false alarm. No shooter, thank God. I do recall hearing that many students were told to go into a particular building and that worried me as my thoughts went to exactly that. Educating the shooter or possible shooter as to the plan ofor action. Point taken.

Participant

Get rid of gun free zones

Viewing 6 posts - 181 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.