Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation Florida mass shooting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of today’s shooting.

Question for the gallery…

Would you support legislation that would make metal detectors, ballistic glass, and full time security guards mandatory for all public schools in the US? I don’t know about the schools your kids go to, but the security at my podunk town is a joke. Doors locked at 820a and visitors have to be buzzed in… By that time potential shooters are already in the school.

Any thoughts?

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I don’t think there is a solution to this other than riding the planet of evil and I don’t want my kids trapped inside a bunker out of fear.

On a side note, I heard on a local Florida news forum that this very school had an “active shooter” drill just two weeks ago. Coincidence? Rumors? I don’t know but if true, there is a pattern.
    I did manage to find this…

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/helicopters-flying-over-broward-as-part-of-tactical-training-exercise

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

A pattern that copy cats will exploit no doubt…

Participant

My Grandma used to say “you cannot Hide from the evil things in the world and you cannot prevent evil people from doing evil things” I guess it means you cannot stop crazy.. My Prayers are to the families of the victims.

Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

Would you support legislation that would make metal detectors, ballistic glass, and full time security guards mandatory for all public schools in the US? I don’t know about the schools your kids go to, but the security at my podunk town is a joke. Doors locked at 820a and visitors have to be buzzed in… By that time potential shooters are already in the school.

Any thoughts?

Yes to metal detectors. NO to security guards. Ballistic glass is overkill – instead make all doors open inward and require each class to have a door jam type device to prevent entry.

Participant

I dont know it would help much to be honest with you. Besides that I would see any such decision as a state or local one.

Dont see any way this is covered in the commerce clause or any other constitutional way the Feds would have jurisdiction over this. Not that they seem to need it.

Participant

Makes me wonder how many students were killed in the lat 10 years by fires. I only mention this because so much thought is put into fire codes that are mandated during construction. Important of course, but are we even looking at trying to help prevent some of these incidents through building design? If not, it should be looked at.

Blocked

It looks like this “could” have been prevented or at the very least there should have been more steps taken by law enforcement, given the law allowed for them to do more.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200126034.html

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

Arm a few teachers. Quit letting the schools handle incidents of violence and threats internally

riverriver
    Participant

There is a root to this problem and nobody is ever going to talk about it. Nobody

River

Blocked

Quote by: river

There is a root to this problem and nobody is ever going to talk about it. Nobody

River

Apparently you won’t either. 🙄

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

River

Eh? Speak up. I can’t HEAR you. 🙄

Participant

Quote by: Bung

Quote by: CRIA1576

Any thoughts?

Yes to metal detectors. NO to security guards. Ballistic glass is overkill – instead make all doors open inward and require each class to have a door jam type device to prevent entry.

I’m afraid if you want metal detectors you have to have security guards and more than one. You have to have a guard man a metal detector station. Then you have to have at least another for vacations sick time and such. If there wasnt anyone guarding the station every single metal object would set the thing off. And no one to verify the object Also imagine what a single security guards salary plus benefits would cost. 100k. Probably pretty easy. I work as building maintanece for a county courthouse. And we have looked into it. Does something need to be done yes. But it’s expensive is the cost of loosing a life worth it.. try convincing budget strapped school. Might become easy now tho

Participant

Idk y people do this?!! We do need metal detectors & arm teachers/police at every school. AR’s & guns should be more managed not given out to anybody who wants one! Already 17-18 school shootings in 2018 & heard 300 since 2012-13. WTF is goin on w/ our country?!? What happened to a good ole fist fight! Seen after they caught the shooter they were all nice & sent him away in an ambulance. We need to torture or put the death sentence for these kinda people! They put this hurt on so many families they deserve it! America has gotten too soft! What happened to a good ole hangin! They say oh lethal injection is so expensive y not save $$$ & give these people what they deserve! Just makes me sick how our society is anymore! Not for Trump but Make America Great Again!

Blocked

Quote by: llewellinsetter

River

Eh? Speak up. I can’t HEAR you. 🙄

Do you have a point? Suggestion? Solution? Contribution? Anything?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 186 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.