Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Fishing Reports

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just checking on what everyone has or hasn’t been catching? Not trying to steal spots or anything. Ive been out on the spillway with little luck with white bass. Still kinda high right now. Rain this week won’t help. Big Creek spillway with a few whites lately and a crappie here and there. Big creek lake has been shut outs for me here as of late. Ponds in Ankeny producing small panfish. Going to make a trip to hickory grove soon too. Just been quiet on here lately. The rain hasn’t helped us either.

Participant

I was out at the big creek spillway last night along with about 20 other people. The fishing was horrible, the worst day Ive had so far this spring. Im not sure what happened, I was up there 2 weeks ago and caught white bass and crappies with ease.

Participant

Went on the Mississippi by Dubuque last Friday afternoon and we only caught one tiny bass and one other bite. My BIL went again on Sunday and only caught one bass again but managed a northern. We were bass fishing and really struggling lately. We tried a wide variety of lures too but we just can’t seem to find them.

Participant

I fished last Thursday on the Mississippi just south of Dubuque. Tried for bass – didn’t catch a thing and broke the drive shaft on my outboard. It has not been a good year of fishing for me so far… I can’t figure the river out and it has me really frustrated. It stinks there aren’t any lakes close to the Dubuque area. I may be moving to MN in a couple months so fishing will definitely improve if that all works out.

Participant

I tell you what this year has been harder to find the right place. Im constantly on the river and the two spillways and none have produced like they used to. Finding that right combo at right time will be the key. May have to hit a few farm ponds to get my fix in for now. Cherry glen for whites might be an option soon too.

Participant

I had a decent night below the little dam in Fort Dodge Saturday evening. Got set up before dark and as the sun dropped the channel cats turned on. Caught 8 fish from two to eight pounds. All on cut chubs.

Participant

Was on McBride Friday morning for 2 hours. Had one really nice whit bass. A couple other hits nut that was it. Moved to Coralville and between my BIL, my son and i, we managed 10 crappies, 4 cats and one eater walleye. Probablt threw back 10 more smaller crappies and a few small largemouths. Everything from cranks to tube jigs to minnows under bobbers.

Saturday we went to the Mississippi. Put in at Muscatine and headed south. Fished some back water. Never had a single hit. Saw a few others out but didnt see anyone having much luck.

Participant

I’ve been fishing the East Fork north of Humboldt the last couple weeks. I was catching a few small walleyes (8-10″) and small catfish about the same size. Went out Sunday for about an hour around 8pm and caught 4 small cats and 2 walleyes. All of those were small too. I went again last night and caught 2 small cats under a pound and the gnats and the mosquitos were awful and I didn’t have any bug spray so I couldn’t stand staying real long. The water is now pretty dirty again and will be getting dirtier and higher over the next week or so.

Participant

Hit a farm pond in SWIA Sunday morning with my brother for an hour. Did pretty well, 10 nice crappies, a few gills, and 7 or 8 bass. The largest lmb were 16.5, 17.5, & 18 inches. All on crappie jigs, or beatle spins. All put back to fight again.

Participant

Yellow Bass at Lost Island is really good. Caught about 50 this morning, gave to another guy who had about 40. Saw people on the south side catching them also, shore and boat. Keep them all even the little ones and kill them. Caught 2 under 4″, they went through the fish station grinder.

Participant

Been catching 3-5 lb Largemouth in public ponds in central Iowa

Participant

Red Rock has been darn hard, so far this year. Few folks catching fish but none catching limits of crappies. That I have come across yet.

Roberts Creek has been about the same, though a few more crappies can be had, they are dinky.
    Buddy had a great time below red rock spillway catching 3lb wipers and the occasional 12-14″ Crappie.
    Only problem was about 9000 really short folks fishing the bank.

He got there, early, and was the only one, then after about the third fish, seemed like 9000 short people just Teleported into Being.
    Said it was so crowded, if he turned to either side, his rod tip would hit another person. He got feed up and left it to them.
    I figure it had to be really bad since he is a retired Jarhead and married to a really short person.

Participant

Quote by: gofishN

Red Rock has been darn hard. He got there, early, and was the only one, then after about the third fish, seemed like 9000 short people just Teleported into Being.
    Said it was so crowded, if he turned to either side, his rod tip would hit another person. He got feed up and left it to them.
    I figure it had to be really bad since he is a retired Jarhead and married to a really short person.

While sad, I see the humor in that 😀 Leprechauns, I presume???? 😀

Participant

Was fishing clear lake Sunday and between me and my dad we went through 1/2 of leeches and 6 dozen worms in a few hours. Lots of them dumb yellow bass but we managed to pull out 5 keeper walleyes, caught a bout 20 little ones also.

Participant

Quote by: gofishN

Red Rock has been darn hard, so far this year. Few folks catching fish but none catching limits of crappies. That I have come across yet.

Roberts Creek has been about the same, though a few more crappies can be had, they are dinky.
    Buddy had a great time below red rock spillway catching 3lb wipers and the occasional 12-14″ Crappie.
    Only problem was about 9000 really short folks fishing the bank.

He got there, early, and was the only one, then after about the third fish, seemed like 9000 short people just Teleported into Being.

Short people eh?

And I love hearing about SadieMaes crusade against the yellow bass. Too bad they’re taking over.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.