Home Forums Fishing Bass Fishing -Fishing Lake Fork

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m planning a trip to Lake Fork Texas in May. Have any of you fished Fork? What are your thoughts of the lake?

Participant

I have fished it a few times. Those are some of the most pressured bass that there are. It is never a numbers game there. Best piece of advise I can give is, slow down plastics and jigs to crawl, deadstick them every now and then. Those Florida strains are not nearly as aggressive as the northern strain and cold fronts give them lockjaw. If this your first time there, stay in the marked boat lanes when on plane, idle once you get out of those lanes. You will see boats flying in the stumps, locals who have learned the tracks. You will also see someone stuck on a stump having a time trying to get off of it, nonlocal that thought he knew what he was doing. The first time I went down I hired a guide. Riding 60mph back and forth following the channel, comes to an opening, runs right at an oak tree, misses it by just a couple of feet. Later he told me that oak tree was where the gate to the field was before it was flooded and you have to crowd the tree because the tree you can see, the post you have to guess at. Local knowledge. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Participant

Can I tag along and just fish for crappies out of the back of the boat? :mrgreen:

papadudepapadude
    Participant

Thanks for the input doubledrop, I plan on slowing down outside the boat lanes, I don’t need to go boat shopping. We fish a lot of plastics and jigs so I figure we can’t go too far wrong by staying with what we know, Of course we’ll adjust as need be. I’ve got a lake map coming,
    Where did you stay while down there?

Sorry Asgrow the Boss Lady will be in the back of the boat and she swings a wild fishin pole it wouldn’t be safe back there.

Participant

The whole lake looks like trophy town when you first see it. It is a tough place to fish. There are tournaments down there basically at all times, small local events and large events. This causes the fish to be a bit tight lipped, along with what a previous poster mentioned about the Florida strain. I also would recommend getting a guide for at least your first day on the water, they can help you greatly, which will help you figure the lake out on your own the rest of your stay. I have never been down there that late in the season. So, maybe the fish will be easier to locate in May. I know when the bite is tough a lot of guys will use a live bait called a ” water dog” and they can have some success. It is just a big salamander. There is a lot of nice crappie in there as well. Lake Fork Marina is a good place to stay. Leave plenty of time in the morning to eat breakfast at the restaurant though, they can be slow as heck getting food to your table.

Participant

Also, I’m not sure what you are running for a boat, but if your like me and my buddy you will surely feel inadequate. 😀 There are more 80K boats rolling around that place than anywhere else I have ever seen. Another note, guides, there are a plenty and they are going to be as expensive as you will find anywhere in the U.S. for freshwater fishing. The Caney Creek arm seems to be one of the popular choices to get on fish.

papadudepapadude
    Participant

Hawkfan I know what you mean about the high dollar boats, That’s ok I’ll just keep my old Champion, it’s paid for and it’s just like me, We’re old but still have a few good days of fishing left in us. At 71 years old I would be dead before I could pay off a new boat and I wouldn’t catch any more fish in it. I’ll try to get a few pics of the Boss Ladies fish, the way she runs a camera I’m sure mine will not show up lol,

[/url]post images[/url]

Participant

Around what time in May? I go every year, 2x a year. First trip is always first week of May or so. My biggest there is 10lb 2oz! Trophy lake indeed!

Participant

I’ve been down there twice, both times where in February. Not the best time of year but a good time to take a break from winter up here. A buddy of mine had a place real close to the lake and fished it often. He was dead set on one bait it seemed, a red 3/4 oz trap, even with the water temps in the mid to upper 40’s. Since he was moving so fast, in the back of his boat I didn’t have much choice but to follow suit. We never caught a lot of fish but I did manage a 7.3 lb’er doing that. I also fished with some others and was able to slow it down but didn’t do as good as with the big trap. It’s a neat lake, you’ll like it, as mentioned just be careful. If you have the time you might want take a day and check out Lake Tawakoni, it’s not too far from Lake Fork. It seems to be a fishery primarily for wipers, stripers, and white bass. I was only on that lake for one day but what a blast!

Participant

Papadude, How did Lake Fork treat you?

papadudepapadude
    Participant

Tornado went through Emory the day before we got there. We had high winds and white caps most of the week, we caught plenty of fish but nothing to write home about. Enjoyed the trip but I probably will stick with going to Table Rock now, a lot closer and not so many tree stumps to worry about.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.