Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Fish ID?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can someone tell me the species of this fish? Caught from the Mississippi River and probably weighed two pounds. Doesn’t look like any carp species I know of and have never caught a buffalo so idk. TIA

Participant

I guess this one http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Iowa-Fish-Species/Fish-Details/SpeciesCode/ULL

If it is one, you would not see them. I never saw one until I bought a cast net. Have never caught one on a hook.

Participant

Thanks that looks like it. Snagged it on the back with a underspin if that helps.

Participant

Looks right. Fairly common in Drs Moines drainage i believe.

Participant

Hard to tell without having the fish in hand, but it looks like a river carpsucker. Very common to rivers in Iowa.
    The dorsal fin is not long enough to be a quillback.

stick500stick500
    Participant

yeh, I will second on it that it is a River Carpsucker.

a member of the sucker family, but not the carp family

of course, a native species

I’ve snagged them, too, and speared a few as well.

seems like they are mostly filter feeders, sucking up muck from the bottom

might make good cat bait for later in the day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_carpsucker

http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Iowa-Fish-Species/Fish-Details/SpeciesCode/RVC

Participant

Just another kind of carp if you ask me.

Participant

I would lean towards a quillback although it is somewhat difficult to see the dorsal fin completely in the picture. My students have seined a few of these over the years in the East Fork of the Des Moines River in Algona while performing water quality testing for Project IOWATER.

Participant

Quote by: jesslab

I would lean towards a quillback although it is somewhat difficult to see the dorsal fin completely in the picture. My students have seined a few of these over the years in the East Fork of the Des Moines River in Algona while performing water quality testing for Project IOWATER.

It is a Quillback

Participant

If you say carp sucker 3 times in a row as fast as you can, you’ll discover the more common name for these fish! :mrgreen:

Participant

Quote by: Michael+Weber

Hard to tell without having the fish in hand, but it looks like a river carpsucker.

My vote is for river carpsucker. I’ve caught a few on night crawlers over the years.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quillback 😉

Participant

Looks like a quillback without his quill, so not a quillback, but probably a carp sucker.
    Rod

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.