Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping First Badger adventure!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Been setting some new property this year, got my surprise first fox there a while ago so decided to keep setting it hard to see if there are more. There is a carcass on the property, and a really well used trail runs along a sort of earth dike, I assume it is critters going to and from the carcass to feed. I set some traps on it hoping to get a coyote or fox.

I pulled up on this set and wish I would have taken a “before” picture. The trail runs right along the dike as you can kind of tell in the pic, so this badger once caught, burrowed straight into the dike. Wasn’t sure what I was dealing with as all I could make out was a fluffy gray behind and a tight chain. Immediately thought possum and was kind of disgusted. I gave the chain a couple yanks and the chain grew tighter and I heard a growl/hiss/slobber noise that sounded like the voice of Satan himself. Took me probably 10 minutes to dig (not pull, DIG) him out of frozen ground. With those big old claws he had some serious holding power in that hole.

I think he will go on the wall, he is not a super fluffy pale skin that brings the $$. I dont wanna think I went through all the work of digging out and dispatching plus skinning the dang critter for like $10 maybe. It will still look pretty sweet as a tanned skin in the living room. Never skinned one before last night but man is it a chore. Those things have more floating muscle than I’ve ever seen on a critter. At least this one did. Not sure how big badgers get or what is normal but I weighed this one because it seemed pretty big to me. Came out at 23.4 lbs. Snapped a few pics on the line and one at home.

Back is still kinda sore from this endeavor

A close up, they are a strange critter for sure. In the background you can see the ground is 100% flat and planted, in the first pic you can see the built up dike that has tall grass/brush and the trail on it.

This angle shows the claws a bit.

And one at home before it got skinned.

Thanks for looking, and if any of you ever catch one, be ready, those things are MEAN

FeathersFeathers
    Participant

Great Job!!!Badgers are neat critters and they can pay havick on the ground when caught.I was always told and now I understand after catching a few of them.Ya know whats worse then a pissed off badger?A really pissed off Badger with a trap on his foot 😯

Participant

I heard badgers eat hawkeyes!

On Wisconsin.

IowaDuckHunterIowaDuckHunter
    Participant

Maxx,

I knew you would say something like that. The good Badger is a dead one.

Call me sometime.

IDH

IowaDuckHunter

Participant

Great pictures and cool story. Thanks for sharing!

I also know that Cyclones whip both Badgers and Hawkeyes. B)

Participant

Quote by: maxx

I heard badgers eat hawkeyes!

On Wisconsin.

😛

Participant

Quote by: IowaDuckHunter

Maxx,

I knew you would say something like that. The good Badger is a dead one.

Call me sometime.

IDH

Will do, how did that go for you during the football season this year? I think you owe me a drink still. We should meet up at the new Draught house some night after work.

Participant

I did think to myself that the only thing cooler than catching the surprise badger would be to have caught it on Wisc V Iowa game day! I have a few people who I would definitely be sending dead badger pics to 😆

Participant

Guessing adult male. Be VERY glad he did not come out when you pulled on the chain. 😆

Participant

Quote by: kenhump

Guessing adult male. Be VERY glad he did not come out when you pulled on the chain. 😆

Upon later inspection, believe it or not, this was a lady badger! If she was that big I’d be downright scared to find her boyfriend!

And yes I was sure glad it didn’t come out once I realized it was a badger! I immediately thought possum due to the puff of grizzled gray fur I could see but realized it had to be something else when all my strength couldn’t budge it…I’ve seen some big ol possums but none that I couldn’t muscle out of a hole! 😯

Participant

That is big for a sow badger. Do not think I have seen one over 20#. Boars are normally the bigger of the two. Ya, I am not a trophey person, but that one would make the grade. Congrats.

Participant

Them badgers are some nasty mean creatures. Anybody have any experience or stories about their experience with Badgers?

Participant

I always could tell if I caught a badger in a trap cause it looked like a small backhoe had been at work.
    I had one on a short chain that dug down and around the stake until it was hanging from the trap. The only thing holding the stake was a small bit of frozen ground.
    If you can find a badger digging this time of year they are easy to snare on a fresh dug hole. Just use some toothpick size sticks to hold your loop at the den entrance . It’s hard to miss a badger that way.
    The biggest surprise to me was the badgers reaction when snared. No digging visible at all in any that I ever caught,but you had to really look for your snare because it just went tight down the hole. You kinda needed a light to see the badger and you wouldn’t want your snare to long to enable mr badger to get too far down the hole. I miss those days.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.