Home Forums Hunting Artifacts and Finds First axe head.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Went youth Turkey hunting and found this. I’ve looked many times over the last several years for artifacts finding a few points and lots of flakes. Always hoped I’d find an ax head but never really expected to. This one found me. Any ideas on time period? guesses? any info appreciated Thanks in advance.

Participant

That’s awesome, congratulations

Participant

Sweet. What a find.

Keymaster

Lucky Duck! Or is it You Turkey 😀 Congrats Awesome find!

riverriver
    Participant

Based on my very limited knowledge I would say you have a very unique piece there. I have never seen one that is concave like that. Usually one is able to date any particular axe head on whether it is full groove, 3/4 groove, or half groove. It appears to me that it could have been a full groove and been damaged, though that seems unlikely. Because of the symmetry of how it is hollowed out on that edge. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Congratulations on a really nice find and thank you for sharing.

River

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Great find! Have you done any research on that shape? Any idea what period it is from? :mrgreen: These questions are for members who could help answer them. I have a full grove that is rectangle and rounded off. I have little information about mine but I see a lot of others like it. Yours looks deadly.

Participant

Thanks guys. Whats funny is we took a break yesterday from Turkey hunting for lunch yesterday. We went and walked a field for artifacts from 3-4pm just to stretch our legs before sitting at night trying to catch some Turkeys coming back in to roost. Found a couple flakes-nothing significant. Drove to the Turkey hunting spot, changed into our turkey gear, and as we are climbing a hill to go set up I look down (because the hill is steep and I am tired) and see the grooved part staring up at me through some corn stalks 20 yards from the truck. I had never artifact hunted at this location but that may change. Got our Turkey this morning. Pretty unforgettable weekend. I have added some picture of it cleaned up some. Thanks for any info people may have. How do you google a shape?

photo 20160409_220006_1.jpg

Sizing seems messed up. It looks way bigger in the picture than what it really is. It is about the size of my hand. Is there a way to make them smaller?

Participant

I’ve never seen an axe quite like that one. Holy fluted. Really neat!

Participant

On my phone I hold down on the photo and the option box comes up. One option is to Google search this image.

smokepolesmokepole
    Participant

Quote by: CEBCEB

Thanks guys. Whats funny is we took a break yesterday from Turkey hunting for lunch yesterday. We went and walked a field for artifacts from 3-4pm just to stretch our legs before sitting at night trying to catch some Turkeys coming back in to roost. Found a couple flakes-nothing significant. Drove to the Turkey hunting spot, changed into our turkey gear, and as we are climbing a hill to go set up I look down (because the hill is steep and I am tired) and see the grooved part staring up at me through some corn stalks 20 yards from the truck. I had never artifact hunted at this location but that may change. Got our Turkey this morning. Pretty unforgettable weekend. I have added some picture of it cleaned up some. Thanks for any info people may have. How do you google a shape?

photo 20160409_220006_1.jpg

Sizing seems messed up. It looks way bigger in the picture than what it really is. It is about the size of my hand. Is there a way to make them smaller?

Great find! Probably a salesman’s sample

riverriver
    Participant

Full groove would be the oldest, then 3/4, then half. Your’s appears to be a hybrid 3/4 groove.
    Here’s a look at a 3/4 I found a few years ago.

River

riverriver
    Participant

I re-sized your pics to make them a little easier to look at.

Participant

What surprises me the most is how small they are.

Participant

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

On my phone I hold down on the photo and the option box comes up. One option is to Google search this image.

Holy crap!!! I didn’t know you could do that. Pretty cool. Unfortunately it say “no results found best guess is a rock”

Thanks though

Participant

Quote by: river

Full groove would be the oldest, then 3/4, then half. Your’s appears to be a hybrid 3/4 groove.
    Here’s a look at a 3/4 I found a few years ago.

River

Thanks for re-sizing. I found your post when doing some research on this last night. Thanks for the info. What kind of time period are we talking about for 3/4 grooved axes? Also what did they use these for? battle? cutting trees? Hammers? all of the above? Where could a person go to get more info? I see you had the opportunity in the past for an archaeologist to look at yours. I spent some time online last night but really didn’t come up with much. Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.