Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Finally got stuck by a hook

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been fishing for about 50 years and I go a lot. Of course I have been poked many, many times by hooks, but incredibly have never buried the barb. Until yesterday!

Wade fishing a small clear creek in Illinois and having an incredible day- dozens of big smallies, a couple of nice walleyes, a small channel cat and a big pike (for a creek, anyway!)

No bait, all with lures. So I get a small crankbait stuck in the weeds on the other side of the creek. When I yank on the line to get it unstuck the thing shoots like a rocket straight at my forearm and two points from one of the two trebles stick in my arm. One is down to the barb- yikes!

I pop the other one quick and easy and try to decide what to do (I am alone). At this point still no pain. Considered pushing it through and debarbing it, but I recall seeing a youtube video where a guy just yanks it out of his skin. So I started tugging on it with my pliers and it still wasn’t hurting, even though it was stretching my skin out. Our skin is really tough (that white connective tissue underneath- I think it’s called fascia). So I stayed on it with the pliers and it finally just popped out and hurt just a bit. Hardly any blood. I let out a yell, mostly because I was happy!

As of today I can’t even find where I got stuck. Was a bit worried about infection, but nothing showing up. So at least now I know I can handle small hooks stuck in me if it happens again.

patrickpatrick

50 years is a pretty good run!  I was on a stretch for a while where it seemed like I was hooking myself or the victim of someone else hook lodging into my skin.  The worst one ever was when I was a kid searching for a treble hook on a dock in darkness.  Needless to say I found it or at least my kneecap did.  All three barbs were buried and a quick ER trip was needed to get it removed.  I remember is not hurting to much, but it wasn’t not very fun experience!

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

I had a trout lodge one in my middle finger tip pad this spring while on North Bear. Could not get it to budge even with some pretty good yanks. Was an F5 Rapala with a small treble hook. Ended up swallowing the old pride and off to the Decorah ER we went. Even the Dr. had a hard time getting it out. Not fun at all, I unhook the fish a little differently now. Had one in my leg a few years ago and just yanked it out with pliers, the one this spring would not budge.

Participant

Few years ago fishing the river, hooked about a 15″ walleye on the tail hook of a  no. 5 shadrap. Swung him over and tried to grab him with the left hand

and he flipped about the time I grabbed him. Buried the front hook in the meat of my thumb past the barb. So I had him and he had me. Pretty interesting

few minutes as I tried to unhook everybody.

Participant

I was up in Minnesota one year trying to get a pike off a lure.   It jumped and one of the treble hooks got me in the finger.  After a lot of messing around trying everything we could think of  finally cut the hook and went to the ER.   They even had a chart on the wall showing where they had removed hooks from people.  Lot of x’s on the chart.   Dr finally just pushed it the rest of the way through and cut the barb off.

Participant

i was at a spill way all by myself catching sauger 1 right after another.  one of them shook free and buried a hook in my finger.  i sat there with needle nose pliers for about 15 mintutes trying to get it out.  it finally came.  i tried to continue fishing but it wouldn’t stop bleeding.  such good fishing too.

Participant

I got stuck with hooks enough that I decided to learn how to remove them. Here’s a video I made a few years ago.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Thanks for the video!

Funny thing with my situation was when I got back to camp I asked my buddy if he thought he could get it out. He said “well yeah I can get it out, but you aren’t going to like it!” I thought the ER was probably going to be a little less painful at that point. Good thing was the Decorah ER was fast and we were back to fishing in less than a coupe hours.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Each one of your stories is making me cringe a bit. I was sure happy I got out of it as easy as I did.

Participant

I always carry a small medical kit antiseptic , nitrile gloves, bandaids, wipes. I call it river side surgery I always get the barb out as soon as I can.  Try and push the hook through (rotate it) if you can. Pulling hard against the barb is not easy and cutting with knife is nasty also, so just try and push the barb through if you can. I fish rivers a lot out of yak or wading covering distance I’ve had to remove hooks miles from the car. Carry a couple nitrile gloves to cover the hand and keep fishing once barb is out.

Participant

Only upon request I did the line jerk thing on someone else once.  It was a crankbait with treble hooks of course.  All I had were needle nose pliers, less than ideal for cutting off the crankbait and other hooks before proceeding.  I could tell my patient was experiencing some pain while doing that part.  Once past that wrapping around some heavy line and then popping it out worked pretty well.  Then I also stuck myself once while unboxing some new crankbaits at home.  One got stuck in the carpet and as it ends up I should have tried freeing that differently.  So I have a hook through my finger with the point sticking out another side, but the barb hadn’t gone through.  At least at home I have side cutters.  Once down to just the single hook I pulled it out with some needle nose.  Appling pressure away from the barb is the basic idea and that’s what the line jerk method does.  I’ll admit that I did look away while very quickly jerking it out.  No worse for wear though.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Yes I’ve been there,   a 2-3 lb pike on the rear hook shaking violently and my thumb on the front treble.  I had to remove the fish and my thumb from the hooks using my non dominant left hand.  🙂

Three comments –

• I’d rather pull one a hook out of myself than out of someone else.
    • “most” fish hooks are pretty good non-rusty metal so chance of infection isn’t real high.
    • Neither my cheap needle nose or cheap side cutters would cut the treble hook on a #9 ShadRap.  Test your cutters before you need them.  I had to flatten the barb as good as I could,  then back the hook back out.
    bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

My $1288 brown trout Rapala. Now resides on the “wall of shame”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.