Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Field to Fork: Venison Blade Roast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My new favorite cut of meat on a deer is the front shoulder. Since it’s just my fiancee and me, I usually separate the shank at the joint (which I save for osso bucco), then I take the upper part of the shoulder and saw through the bone to create three bone-in blade roasts. I made one of them on Sunday from this year’s bow buck.

First, I coated the roast with generous amounts of salt and pepper. Then I dusted it with flour, and seared it on all sides in a cast iron pan with about 1/4″ of peanut oil.

While that was searing, I warmed up some beef broth in a separate pan. Once the roast was seared, I placed it in a crock pot, then poured in the hot broth (on the side, not directly on the roast) until it covered the roast about 3/4 of the way up. I added a few carrots, potatoes, celery and a small onion, and set the crock pot to high.

A little less than 6 hours later, the meat was falling off the bone tender. I scooped out a good bit of meat and veggies into a bowl, added some fresh cracked black pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and ate until I couldn’t move 😉

The thing I love most, other than it being delicious, is that it is so simple. I used to trim and trim and trim that front shoulder until all that meat was worthy of was jerky or burger. Not anymore!

Participant
    Up
    Down

That right there looks delicious! My wife made some venison stew not too long ago and it was actually delicious as well. We have also had venison pot pie which also was quite good. My wife and kids don’t ordinarily like the taste of venison, but when cooked right such as with the aforementioned recipes you can’t even tell it isn’t beef.

Participant
    Up
    Down

That sir, looks delicious! Something about eating something that you’ve hunted, killed, and butchered yourself makes it taste that much better!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Looks awesome.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I love it! As I actually drive my buddies nuts trying to. It every piece of meat off and trim the crap out if it.

Can u show the cuts you made? I’m not picturing it but am heading to deer camp so I’d love to take advantage of this preparation.

Well done!!

Up
    Down

Looks great! I’m going to try the Steve rinella ossu busco this year as well, I wish I caught his show before carving up all my deer so far this season. Shotgun season is going to provide all kinds of different cuts this year!

Participant
    Up
    Down

You SOB! :mrgreen:

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for sharing, looks great I might try that 7 blade roast idea sometime. 😀

I never felt the shoulder was a difficult piece to de-bone, but the neck vertebrae are the pieces I hate so I usually make 2-3 roasts from the neck. Just trim it close enough for it to fit in the crockpot. Something about the neck roasts I think they are extra tasty.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IaCraig

Thanks for sharing, looks great I might try that 7 blade roast idea sometime. 😀

I never felt the shoulder was a difficult piece to de-bone, but the neck vertebrae are the pieces I hate so I usually make 2-3 roasts from the neck. Just trim it close enough for it to fit in the crockpot. Something about the neck roasts I think they are extra tasty.

I am a big fan of the neck meat. They make great roasts to braise for tacos, or BBQ or, just a pot roast.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Drahts

I love it! As I actually drive my buddies nuts trying to. It every piece of meat off and trim the crap out if it.

Can u show the cuts you made? I’m not picturing it but am heading to deer camp so I’d love to take advantage of this preparation.

Well done!!

I didn’t take any photos, but here are the cuts that I made.

Participant
    Up
    Down

What do you use to make the cuts for the osso buco and the blade roasts? Handsaw? Sawzall? Band saw?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maverick

What do you use to make the cuts for the osso buco and the blade roasts? Handsaw? Sawzall? Band saw?

For the shank, I just separate it at the joint with a knife and a little elbow grease. Then I separate the roast meat with a knife and use a handsaw to cut through the bone. It is important to cut through the bone in the roasts so you can access the marrow. It adds a little more tastiness to the dish.

I should add, those roasts are just about perfect size for 3-4 people.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Just what I was looking for with the picture, thanks!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I tried your blade roast yesterday and it was amazing. I added seasonings with a little flour, coated the roast and then seared on all sides. Added the roast into the crock pot with a little cola and let it go. The roast had a little crust on it from the flour and sear but it was still tender and had great flavor. Mother in law didn’t know it was venison until I told her afterwards. I will definitely not be grinding the meat on the front legs from now on. Thanks for the heads up on some very over looked cuts of meat.

Participant
    Up
    Down

That really looks delicious.

What I noticed first is the body size on that pig of a buck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.