Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Fewer deer

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

i feel deer are still way down from what most of us would like. we have more food than either of our northern bordering states and only carry half the herd they have. i hunt all over the state and there were some areas down south that had good numbers but in NE iowa i never saw more than 3 deer in one night. 7 years ago i couldve sat and picked out the biggest doe any evening plus had shots at others. they will rebound as long as we continue to monitor our kills ourselves. ive also met more than one person that has stated they dont bother to call in their harvests. im sure there is a formula the dnr uses to factor this in but i just wonder how many really call in every deer

Participant

Quote by: hammerhead

i feel deer are still way down from what most of us would like. we have more food than either of our northern bordering states and only carry half the herd they have. i hunt all over the state and there were some areas down south that had good numbers but in NE iowa i never saw more than 3 deer in one night. 7 years ago i couldve sat and picked out the biggest doe any evening plus had shots at others. they will rebound as long as we continue to monitor our kills ourselves. ive also met more than one person that has stated they dont bother to call in their harvests. im sure there is a formula the dnr uses to factor this in but i just wonder how many really call in every deer

I think this not reporting your deer thing is going to come to a slow but steady halt as it is a $195 fine for not reporting. It takes all of 3 min or less to report from the time you login until you get the conformation number. I have heard of several that have been dinged with the $195 fine. I hope the DNR decides to take it to heart and go whole hog and bust everyone of the non reporting tag fillers. If there was 5128 deer not reported that fine money would total $999960.00 $40 bucks short of a million dollars. That would go a long way in helping fund the DNR.

Participant

Quote by: flyfishr

Quote by: hammerhead

I think this not reporting your deer thing is going to come to a slow but steady halt as it is a $195 fine for not reporting. It takes all of 3 min or less to report from the time you login until you get the conformation number. I have heard of several that have been dinged with the $195 fine. I hope the DNR decides to take it to heart and go whole hog and bust everyone of the non reporting tag fillers. If there was 5128 deer not reported that fine money would total $999960.00 $40 bucks short of a million dollars. That would go a long way in helping fund the DNR.

It is a pain to report using the phone number…press or say 1 for yes, press or say 2 for no…gets old. But if you have a smartphone, it takes less than 30 seconds. Pull up the web page, put in your tag # what county and whether it was a buck, doe, button buck or shed antler buck. Done write the confirm # on your tag.

Participant

Only seen 6 deer where I hunt in Clinton County!! 3 bucks and 3 does. I shot one of the bucks, a decent 8 pt. Numbers have been on the way down in neck of the woods for the last 5-6 years.

Participant

I to live in south clayton co. bowhunted most of the season saw the same two small bucks along with a doe and her fawns over and over. same deer on three trail cameras. after the army went through next door I believe there is only one fawn left.

Participant

Numbers in eastern Woodbury County are definitely down from last year. Hunter numbers have also declined. Saw a good number of hunters opening morning but rarely seen anyone out during the week. We hunted all the same area and fields as last year and we all commented on the fact we did not see as many deer. May have had something to do with the warm weather and lack of snow. We tagged out but had to work for them.

Participant

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
    We are shooting too many does and we’re going to pay for it next year….and the year after……and year after. Sure there are a few pockets with lots of deer, but I believe that is the exception to the rule now.

Population in areas I hunt in Clayton and Allamakee have to be down 80% from where it was 6 years ago. Deer hunting is much more enjoyable when you are seeing lots of deer.

Participant

I can’t really comment on the deer population as a whole, but it seems the DNR has target population density that they believe is ideal for each region of the state and this is reflected in the number of antlerless tags issued. If they feel the deer population was too low in a certain area then they issue fewer antlerless tags for counties in that area and vice versa for a higher population density. This is what the people at the DNR do for a living, so in general I think that we should just let them do their job since they are the experts on this topic.

As a hunter I completely agree that higher numbers make for a more enjoyable hunt. However we are not the only ones who have an interest in the deer population. Farmers, insurers, and a number of other groups are on the other side of the fence and want fewer deer. So there has to be a balance somewhere. If we want the balance to tip in our favor it probably helps to let our voice be heard so that the DNR can adjust the annual tag counts accordingly.

Participant

I did send an email to my state representative last March, reminding him that we sportsmen do talk to each other and do vote. Got no response at all. Later learned he is also on the county Farm Bureau board and of course he farms also.
    As for the DNR being in charge why then is the director of that agency a political appointee? I made reference to the magazine article titled the Politics of Deer Hunting from last year. If you have not read it you really should do so. It is kind of an eye opener. It at least partially explains why the shortage of deer in some areas.

Participant

Can anyone give me ONE name of an Iowa legislator, no matter the party, that has made the deer population in Iowa a major piece of his or her platform? I would LOVE to hear one so we know who NOT to blame for the deer numbers.

Participant

Quote by: mhock

Can anyone give me ONE name of an Iowa legislator, no matter the party, that has made the deer population in Iowa a major piece of his or her platform? I would LOVE to hear one so we know who NOT to blame for the deer numbers.

exactly! That old horse sure takes a beating!!!

Participant

i saw 20 deer in the field today, 100+ in the field past shooting hours

Participant

😯 My group didn’t get a deer until Tuesday of 2nd season , because we couldn’t see them for all the fog , rain and muddy conditions . After the weather got more hunter friendly , we seen lots of critters and no doubt there will be many left to increase the herd even more next year for a few more car/deer accidents as today was just another foggy/muddy day ( my group did just fine ) ! 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.