Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Fewer deer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How were the numbers you were seeing?
    I was surprised second season, between 14 of us pushing thru different ground in Adair and Guthrie counties we only saw 50 deer. No one shot a doe, not from lack of trying but from lack of deer. Only 14 deer presented any shots and 4 were shot, all 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 yr old bucks.
    In bow season I thought the doe population was decent but now I think I may have just bow hunted the right ground.

Participant

😯 Well now that it isn’t raining , muddy out and there is no fog , there are plenty of critters over here in Audubon county , where there are no antlerless tags ( nothing like Adair or Guthrie ) and things should be better now ! 😉

Participant

I saw more deer this year the first day I bow hunted than I did the previous two seasons combined. I saw deer every time I sat this year, even only hunting 6 sits I managed to kill 4 deer. I think they have rebounded nicely on our farm. Monona County.

Participant

I hunt in Allamakee county and saw few deer, but the rest of the group saw enough. Weather was nice and a lot of deer where out in the open (I think). I really don’t like seeing too many deer because the next really bad winter a LOT will starve to death and I really don’t want to see that.

Heuy

Participant

Clayton county. I saw the least amount of deer this year since I moved here 10 years ago. Out of about 20-25 sits with the bow, 5 or 6 of them I didn’t see any deer, and 5-6 of them I saw one or two deer. No bucks the first 16 sits and only small bucks (forks, spikes) the last few sits. This was from the last week of October to the 2nd week of November. I had 4 trail cameras out all summer/fall, and had maybe 300 pictures total of deer, with most of them being the same doe/fawn groups repeated. I moved the cameras multiple times to try to find the deer with no luck. 5 years ago I’d get 300 pics per week on each camera.
    During shotgun season we saw very few deer. Another group in the area had multiple drives with zero deer seen.
    There are pockets out there with good sized herds in the area, but much of it has been over hunted.
    What’s funny is I can drive 30-40 minutes into an area where some relatives live in Delaware county and see 20+ deer every mile. No kidding. Around my area you’ll see about 10 deer every 5 miles. If that.

Participant

Clayton Co. this year bow and shotgun season had the least number of does I have seen in 4yrs hunting and im in a typically high population area. Weird part is the buck numbers were higher compared to recent years. I was seeing like 3 bucks for every doe. Used to be like 4 does for every buck. Then I hunt a spot in Buchanan Co and the doe numbers were about the same. High, to high in my opinion for the high population area I was hunting in. I did see a slight increase in buck sightings and a little increase in older age bucks. Went from mostly 1-2 1/2yr olds to a few 4-5yr olds. I did however witness a huge increase in turkey and raccoon populations. Yikes

Participant

I’ve seen more deer in Monroe and Lucas county this year than I have in a very long time. Plenty of deer where I was at.

Participant

I saw a few more deer versus the last couple years in Montgomery where I hunt, but they were all pretty young. Saw a nice doe but she had a little one with her that should have had spots it was so small. My area doesn’t hold a lot of deer but more of a travel area between food and bedding.

Participant

Yet, Clayton and Allamakee counties are leading the charge in total deer harvested this year out of all the counties. Could this just be that numbers had been sky high in the past and are beginning to reach their capacity? I am not trying to start anything but from the comments of not seeing deer compared to the harvest totals there is a big difference.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Yet, Clayton and Allamakee counties are leading the charge in total deer harvested this year out of all the counties. Could this just be that numbers had been sky high in the past and are beginning to reach their capacity? I am not trying to start anything but from the comments of not seeing deer compared to the harvest totals there is a big difference.

Could be the large number of leases and land being bought the last few years around here that no one hunts all year. All deer move onto these properties with less pressure then 20 guys go and mow them all down at once. I know some groups that buy 20 doe tags. I know for a fact that the numbers in southern Clayton Co. area are down. The farmers that ALWAYS complain about high deer numbers told me they are hardly seeing any anymore. The piece I have access to, the owner told me to just thin out the herd but don’t completely wipe them out this year and he always tells me shoot all the does I can. I’m not complaining so much about the numbers being down but it worries me that since no one is seeing bucks that they all just shoot does because no one wants to not fill a tag. The bucks in my area are actually improving the last couple years.

Participant

Quote by: hunter94

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Could be the large number of leases and land being bought the last few years around here that no one hunts all year. All deer move onto these properties with less pressure then 20 guys go and mow them all down at once. I know some groups that buy 20 doe tags. I know for a fact that the numbers in southern Clayton Co. area are down. The farmers that ALWAYS complain about high deer numbers told me they are hardly seeing any anymore. The piece I have access to, the owner told me to just thin out the herd but don’t completely wipe them out this year and he always tells me shoot all the does I can. I’m not complaining so much about the numbers being down but it worries me that since no one is seeing bucks that they all just shoot does because no one wants to not fill a tag. The bucks in my area are actually improving the last couple years.

That’s a lot of it I believe. I’m southern Clayton county also.
    One of the big factors in my area is the Amish. The ones that don’t shoot deer all year have all 3265 of their kids and cousins get doe tags and they kill everything brown that moves during shotgun season.

Participant

Branstad and his ventriloquists at the Farm Bureau won’t be happy until every last deer in this state is dead. What ever happened to the DNR managing our state’s deer herd. Of course what do I know? Fifteen years ago I predicted the demise of our state’s pheasant population.

Participant

We hunt north of Elkader Clayton county. Twelve in our group and we filled all tags. Five nice bucks the rest does.
    Probably saw 250 to 300 deer the first day. Plenty deer in our area.
    RON

Participant

Quote by: chris_hunts

Branstad and his ventriloquists at the Farm Bureau won’t be happy until every last deer in this state is dead. What ever happened to the DNR managing our state’s deer herd. Of course what do I know? Fifteen years ago I predicted the demise of our state’s pheasant population.

X2

Talked with two groups tonight. Still looking for deer. I haven’t filled a bow tag in two years. Kept track on the DNR survey I was sent and saw 14 deer in 16 trips of bow hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.