Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Feeding birds

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I feed sun flower seeds & suet have all he normal winter visitors. I have a Brown Creeper that comes every few weeks that I would call my trophy. How does everyone deal with red tails? I have seen my resident red tail take 3 birds from my feeder this winter. 😈

Participant

I just put some food out. Afraid a hawk willl find the commotion. I don’t think I have anything rare visiting. I had to look one up. It was a redpoll finch.

Participant

I think I need to back off a bit.I have about 5 feeders at home and 3 at the cabin.It figures out to about 60 lbs a month of seed.They sure are fun to watch and argue over though!

Participant

I enjoy feeding the birds and having them around. I have 2 feeders and a bird bath with a heater. When we have some snow cover I go through lots of feed (up to a 5 gallon bucket per day) due to the deer and turkeys coming in for an easy meal. I generally buy one of the cheap mixes from TSC or Menards and mix it 50/50 with black oil sunflower. Gets to be kind of pricey but I’ll do it as long as I can.

Participant

I have 2 suet feeders a generic mix feeder and I also put out some peanuts and corn . I have few cardinals a couple wood ( censor )’s 😉 , and a handful of others that I’m just not savvy enough to identify .

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: jalariso

The bird I most enjoy seeing at the feeder is the Red Headed Woodpecker. I hardly ever see one anymore and they seemed so common several decades ago. They appear so formally dressed-up for dinner. 🙂

I never see those in POLK county anymore, but they are common at our cabin in Puttnam county Mo. (lake thunderhead)

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: PCI

I feed sun flower seeds & suet have all he normal winter visitors. I have a Brown Creeper that comes every few weeks that I would call my trophy. How does everyone deal with red tails? I have seen my resident red tail take 3 birds from my feeder this winter. 😈

I’ve never had problems with red tail hawks, but I’ve had sparrow and what I think are cooper hawks. I am sure the hawks get a bird once in a while, but I’ve never seen them catch one. I have lots of bushes & pines that the song birds dive deep into to escape the hawks.

Participant

Used to feed a lot of birds when we lived in the country between Madrid and Boone. One morning I looked at the feeder and there was an indigo bunting and a scarlet tanager on it at the same time! By other trophy birds were a red headed wood pecker, titmouse, and rose breasted grosbeaks. I miss country living!

Participant

Love feeding the birds. At one time the wife thought it was more expensive to feed the birds than the kids. I have sunflower, wild bird mix, suet, corn blocks(woodpecker).
    Right now I have a Red Belly, Downy, and Hairy. No Red Headed, there is one closer to the timber. I also love the Nuthatches and titmouse. Almost forgot the Black capped Chickadee(lots)
    This is my fish tank therapy. :mrgreen:
    Jim

Participant

Quote by: mr.icefishing

Used to feed a lot of birds when we lived in the country between Madrid and Boone. One morning I looked at the feeder and there was an indigo bunting and a scarlet tanager on it at the same time! By other trophy birds were a red headed wood pecker, titmouse, and rose breasted grosbeaks. I miss country living!

This spring I saw a bird that was crazy blue from a distance and a couple that were crazy red up closer. I think that might be what they were. Not trying to steal your thunder, never seen them before in my life. One time I set up fishing in the spring and two crazy birds show up. Had to look them up again. A yellow belly fly catcher and I think there was a blue one too. It was a couple of years ago. Then I got dive bombed by a dobsonfly and that memory is more vivid.

Participant

We have a couple of normal bird feeders, three different types of oriole feeders, and a couple of suet feeders. We get downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, cardinals, blue-jays, robins, nuthatches, and sparrows galore. The ones that are our favorites are juncos, finches (yellow and occasionally house), catbirds, and orioles. In the spring, we may see a couple of indigo buntings! They have to be our favorites since they are so gorgeous! We have also had a red-breasted grosbeak on occasion. This last summer I saw our first blue bird.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Sitting here watching the Iowa/Minn game, and noticed several cedar waxwings in the crabapple by my feeders. Cool to see in a bright sunny day when the colors really pop.

Anyone else notice fewer cardinals this year? I’ve been feeding less cracked corn, so maybe that is part of it.

Participant

I have 30 “migratory doves” sitting by my feeder everyday and roosting by it right now!

JefroJefro
    Participant

My favorite birds at the feeder are the goldfinches. That yellow just makes my day when I see one.

Participant

I put my feeder out this fall,[ I had one out years ago but between all the critters I had to fill the feeder twice a day]. And again I had to fill the bird feeder every day, I solved the problem I drove a pole in the ground until it was around 3 feet high, then I took a 10 foot piece of 2 inch pvc pipe put it over the pipe, made a hanger and hung the feeder on it. Now with the feeder 10 feet in the air all I feed are birds ,fill it twice a week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.