Fatgirl, my long range thumper2019-01-03T07:10:00-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Fatgirl, my long range thumper

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

243WWSM 24″ HB Olympic barrel, modified Versa Pod model 1 tripod, 4.5 x 14x Nikon mildot, 3 lb SS Timney trigger. I use Win 95 SBT’s. She has killed many a coyote. 2 longest prone shots were 556+ yrds & 600 yrds even. The latter coyote was standing on top of a carcass feeding & was rudely interupted. đŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar coydog.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar coydog.
    Participant

556+ yrd coyote was walking up a distant draw, angled away. I shot 3x & hit her twice in the chest. Game over

WhipWhip
    Participant

Good shooting I always liked the 243 WWSM. Superoir ballistics to many other cartridges. I broke out my RRA predator pursuit 223 for calling yesterday. Like your rifle it’s a shooter just lacks the long range punch. Holes are smaller but it really lacks the long-range capability of your rifle. Weight has become an issue for me and I have decided to pick up a new rifle for calling. My old 700 Rem 22-250 has had numerous issues the last few years so as a retirement present to myself I have decided to buy a new rifle. I bought that 700 in 1973. I retire in June so I have sometime to shop. Thinking 243 win so I can leave it for my new granddaughter.

Whip

Participant

Good shooting I always liked the 243 WWSM. Superoir ballistics to many other cartridges. I broke out my RRA predator pursuit 223 for calling yesterday. Like your rifle it’s a shooter just lacks the long range punch. Holes are smaller but it really lacks the long-range capability of your rifle. Weight has become an issue for me and I have decided to pick up a new rifle for calling. My old 700 Rem 22-250 has had numerous issues the last few years so as a retirement present to myself I have decided to buy a new rifle. I bought that 700 in 1973. I retire in June so I have sometime to shop. Thinking 243 win so I can leave it for my new granddaughter.

Well Jim it doesn’t kill coyotes any better. But what it offers over a smaller cal is. Wind bucking ability. I opted for this caliber & bullet due to it’s ability to slice through high cross & quartering winds. The 24″ HB Olympic AR is a shooter out of the box with the ammo I mentioned above. I’ve done a boat load  of long range target shooting getting to know my rifle & bullet. Then I took to the killing part. I’ve killed many beyond 300 yds. Some were flat out running hard. I stopped at a farm one Winter day to ask permission. Farmer invited me in out of the cold. As we were visiting in his large LR with a large bay window. I seen a coyote walking a high snow drift along his creek down in the valley. I quickly asked him “Well do I have permission?” He replied, Yes!. I then told him “I’m going to kill that coyote watch me”. Coyote was right at 1/4 mile out. I ran out grabbed my rifle & went prone next to his house. Bang! knocked that coyote off of that drift. He was hit hard  , broadside, front chest area. But recovered & ran hard on 3 legs. I couldn’t re-connect. I tracked him 1/4 mile & he went down a hole. Large, long blood trail. I was surprised with so much blood loss the coyote was still alive. Tough critters, eh.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Ev, that proves just how tough coyotes are to take a hit from the 243 WWSM and keep on ticking. I have unfortunately seen that play out with .223 more than once. But the holes are easier to sew up if you get the coyote.

Whip

Participant

Ev, that proves just how tough coyotes are to take a hit from the 243 WWSM and keep on ticking. I have unfortunately seen that play out with .223 more than once. But the holes are easier to sew up if you get the coyote.

I remember 2 coyotes I shot mid chest broadside. 1 coyote was around the 300 yrd marker. The other coyote was close enough to hit it with a paver brick. Both coyotes the 95 gr Win SBT punched a fist sized hole through their chest. Both coyotes got up & tried to run. But were tagged again. Sometimes they don’t know their dead. Tough critters.

Participant

Jim, the last coyote I killed was around 7yrs ago? I don’t even try for them anymore. That male was with a female out near the 1/2 mile. I stalked in & went prone around 300 yrds from the male(the female was laying farther away & near the crest of the distant hill). The male was curled up in a ball 1/2 down the hillside. I shot, him in the heart area. Then he relaxed & flopped his head down. I got up & started to walk over to pick him up. I was maybe 15′ from my rifle. When suddenly he kicked around, then got to his feet & took off quartering away down the long hill. I ran back to my rifle & went prone again & swung on him. By that time he was way out there 400 yrds +. I was leading him by a full length, shot right under him. 2nd shot I aimed a bit higher with more lead. By that time he was stretched out like a Cheetah in full stride, he was hauling mail. I hit him quartering into his chest & he rolled 4x, coming back onto his feet & fell over. That male took 2 95 gr ballistic tips in the chest. Before giving it up. Tough critters.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!