Fall ducks 2018-10-08T18:19:45+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Waterfowling Fall ducks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last few days some migrants are showing.  Few bigger ducks.  Hard to id in the fog and haze.  Several bunches of divers including bluebills.  I know scaup.  I’m old.  Pelicans on Trappers Bay. Puddle duck heaven.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  kenhump.
    Greg 57
    Participant

Ken, not many on here?

How’s the duck hunting going

WhipWhip
    Participant

Ken, last weekend we had a bunch of sandhill cranes come into the local area. I don’t know if its the local cranes gathering to migrate or if it was birds from Montana and further north. No big movements of waterfowl yet but fall is certainly in the air and we have snow on the tops of the mountains around the basin I live in.

Whip

kenhump
    Participant

A few herons and two swans.  Half of Iowa is duck ponds,  really wet this year.  Just cracked 50″ so far for the year.   I haven’t hunted waterfowl in years.  Still enjoy looking at them tho.

SADIEHAWKINS
    Participant

Saw a few bigger ducks showed up at  union hills. maybe by the weekend we’ll see a little movement with the colder temps.

Deputy11
    Participant

I haven’t hunted ducks for close to 40 years but my son now wants to try.  My question is, is teal season only open for a week in September?  Looking at the regs. I really can’t tell if we can still shoot teal or not.

Jawilor
    Participant

Yes, you can shoot teal during any open duck season.  The September teal-only season means just that, you can only shoot teal during that particular season.

Deputy11
    Participant

Thanks.  My confusion came from reading the bag limits.  It didn’t say any thing about the number of teal you could take.

kenhump
    Participant

FWIW, saw two fair sized flocks of BWT yesterday going to Worthington from Lake Park.

Fishinforlife
    Participant

Its been a great start to the year up here in South Dakota.  Since duck opener on the 29th we have killed 65 ducks and 32 geese in 4 hunts.  Its been a great start with mostly bigger ducks.  9 different species of ducks so far already!

iamike304
    Participant

In between migrations right now in SWIA. Decent amount of birds around, but only going to get better with the weather in the Dakotas. Killed a few this morning, in the South zone closure, with zero breeze. Looking forward to the real opener.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.