Home Forums Hunting Firearms exploding targets

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: Maverick

This come’s straight from the ATF web page”

Binary explosives are pre-packaged products consisting of two separate components, usually an oxidizer like ammonium nitrate and a fuel such as aluminum or another metal. These components typically are not listed separately on the List of Explosive Materials and do not meet the definition of “Explosives” in 27 CFR 555.11. Therefore, ATF does not regulate the sale and distribution of these component chemicals, even when sold together in binary “kits.” However, when the binary components are combined, the resulting mixture is an explosive material subject to the regulatory requirements found in 27 CFR, Part 555.

So the ATF does not regulate them until they are mixed. Once mixed they are classified as an explosive. The state of Nebraska requires a permit for all explosives, this guy didn’t have one. Every state may be different in how they permit them once mixed.

From this link https://www.atf.gov/file/56591/download starting on page 4 and going onto page 5. “Further, mixing the binary components together constitutes
    manufacturing explosives. Persons manufacturing explosives for their own personal, non-business use only (e.g., personal target practice) are not required to have a Federal explosives license or permit.”

It does go on to say that ” a Federal explosives license or permit is required for the transport of explosive materials. Therefore, a person must obtain a Federal explosives license or permit if they mix binary exploding targets and subsequently transport them to a shooting range or to any other location.”

So if you mix it at the range then you are ok?

Participant

Quote by: stevenoak

He mixed it with blue chalk to make a blue cloud, to announce his soon to be baby boy. So the target kit I have is one of the smallest. The jars are coffee cup size or smaller. Anyone shoot one to have an idea how loud they are. The other targets they sell are twice the size of these. May have to send them to West Monroe La., let Uncle Si blow them up on TV. Don’t think anything is illegal in Louisiana.

The small 1/2 lb are not too loud, but plenty to be heard from a long ways away. I mixed up a much larger one a couple of years back and touched it off from about 300 yards, It was loud enough to feel it in my chest and sent up a small mushroom cloud. I wont do that large of a bratch again, but man was it fun!! Just be safe, do it on private property, shoot from at least 100 yards, wear hearing protection and have fun and you should not get into any trouble.

Participant

A 4 gallon bucket of tannerite will shake windows roughly a mile away depending on the terrain. And makes a nice mushroom cloud. 😀

Participant

On an unrelated note…. a hefty trash bag 1/2 full of acetelyne with just a bit of O2 will knock out security lights 1/4 mile away and piss your dad off! For a moment, I thought I was blind after the boom! Damn kids anyway!!!
    :mrgreen:

Participant

I think the safety distance equation is 100 yds per pound of explosive. There are plenty of stores and vids on the internet of people dismembering themselves or others trying to blow of various things that send sharp hunks a flying.

PCIPCI
    Participant

Quote by: mhock

On an unrelated note…. a hefty trash bag 1/2 full of acetelyne with just a bit of O2 will knock out security lights 1/4 mile away and piss your dad off! For a moment, I thought I was blind after the boom! Damn kids anyway!!!

WOW that made me laugh I know what a small bag will do very loud.

PCIPCI
    Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I think the safety distance equation is 100 yds per pound of explosive. There are plenty of stores and vids on the internet of people dismembering themselves or others trying to blow of various things that send sharp hunks a flying.

My buddy and I thought if we put a 1 lbs under a 5 gal bucket it would send it into the air like a big firecracker wrong. We did this on his landing strip for his plane at his farm. Took about a hour of walking the strip to get all the torn pieces of bucket picked up. Scary how it ripped that bucket into so many pieces.

Participant

Quote by: PCI

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

My buddy and I thought if we put a 1 lbs under a 5 gal bucket it would send it into the air like a big firecracker wrong. We did this on his landing strip for his plane at his farm. Took about a hour of walking the strip to get all the torn pieces of bucket picked up. Scary how it ripped that bucket into so many pieces.

Yeah, mix a few beers, an old appliance or two and you can see how dangerous this stuff really is! :mrgreen:

Participant

When I first started working on cars. Was welding under a car flat on my back. Got a hot clinker in the corner of my eye and dropped the torch. It went out, so I didn’t give it much thought. Till I relit the torch , and realized my shirt had filled with acetylene. never had much hair on my chest anyway. It was a rush when it exploded, and a winter sunburn.

Participant

A trash bag!! All I did was fill a small balloon with the same mixture and set it in the bottom of a 55 gal open drum. That brought out three cop cars cruising the neighborhood. Of course this was right in the middle of town. 😯

Participant

It will also blow the door off of a porta potty.

Participant

Quote by: Tin+Roof

It will also blow the door off of a porta potty.

Oh heck, I got a buddy who can do that without the help of acetelyne. 😯

Participant

We use to throw the bags in the creek and let them go a ways before setting them off, will move some water.

Participant

I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about :mrgreen:

Participant

Two pounds of tannerite in a washing machine will blow huge pieces and lodge them in the tops of trees and scatter pieces throughout an acreage. Cool to watch but not fun to clean up..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.