Home Forums Hunting Firearms exploding targets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Heard today a guy in Nebraska got fined shooting a exploding target without a permit. I have the small tanerite targets from Farm and Fleet. Anyone hear of needing a permit to shoot them. I would think if you don’t need a permit to buy them. You wouldn’t need a permit to shoot one :question:

Participant

Maybe he shot a very large amount? and blew something up

Participant

Fined by??? Who wrote him up? That’s the key question. Was he out in the boonies and the DNR types wrote him, or was he in town blowing these things in his backyard and the local PD nailed him? Whether or not to be concerned hinges on answers….

Participant

Didn’t say how much. His wife gave birth to a baby boy. He put blue powder in with it and he and his buddy touched it off. Sounds like my kind of guy. He was in western Ne., surprised anyone heard it.

Participant

Or he may have shot it on state land. I know that In Az you can not use it on state trust land or state forest land. Due to the container not being made of biodegradable plastic.

Participant

Just googled it. He lives outside Scottsbluff. After he set it off someone reported an explosion that made the news .and he fessed up. County wrote him up. Could face $1000 fine and year in jail. That’s worse than shooting a person in Chicago.

Participant

This come’s straight from the ATF web page”

Binary explosives are pre-packaged products consisting of two separate components, usually an oxidizer like ammonium nitrate and a fuel such as aluminum or another metal. These components typically are not listed separately on the List of Explosive Materials and do not meet the definition of “Explosives” in 27 CFR 555.11. Therefore, ATF does not regulate the sale and distribution of these component chemicals, even when sold together in binary “kits.” However, when the binary components are combined, the resulting mixture is an explosive material subject to the regulatory requirements found in 27 CFR, Part 555.

So the ATF does not regulate them until they are mixed. Once mixed they are classified as an explosive. The state of Nebraska requires a permit for all explosives, this guy didn’t have one. Every state may be different in how they permit them once mixed.

Participant

Quote by: stevenoak

Just googled it. He lives outside Scottsbluff. After he set it off someone reported an explosion that made the news .and he fessed up. County wrote him up. Could face $1000 fine and year in jail. That’s worse than shooting a person in Chicago.

Nebraska has a state law about setting off explosions and that must have qualified. Hopefully the judge is a decent guy because truly there was harm intended.

Participant

Sounds like someone in that county has a burr in their saddle. Seems a little over the top, all things considered.

Participant

It’s a Nebraska state law; once the target is mixed it is considered an explosive and a permit is needed.

When in Rome.

Participant

He mixed it with blue chalk to make a blue cloud, to announce his soon to be baby boy. So the target kit I have is one of the smallest. The jars are coffee cup size or smaller. Anyone shoot one to have an idea how loud they are. The other targets they sell are twice the size of these. May have to send them to West Monroe La., let Uncle Si blow them up on TV. Don’t think anything is illegal in Louisiana.

Participant

Where does iowa law fall into the mix

Participant

Here’s a news article from September of last year that basically says there is no law restricting binary explosives in Iowa, but that it may come up in discussion.

https://www.google.com/amp/kwqc.com/2016/09/21/tannerite-used-for-explosives-can-be-found-in-the-qca/amp/?client=safari

Participant
    Participant

I know of someone who set off a 5 gallon bucket filled with binary reactive material lol. It was about 12 years ago and done from a looong distance and it left a bit of a crater. I hear that the gallon ziplock bags ones are enough to get attention from far away.

This topic an example of why it is a Good idea to know and understand the laws of the state you are in. Too many people see crap on you tube or just go by what their buddy said and assume it is ok or the same everywhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.