Home Forums Miscellaneous General Banter excess deer meat

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

well i have been cleaning out my freezer and organizing. first, all of my meat comes from edgewood locker and is vacuume sealed. i have given 3 full boxes away to families here in the area that i know can use the help. i have about 25-30 packages of burger that i would like to get rid of yet. ALL FROM LAST SEASON, NOT FREEZER BURNED. does any body have any suggestions in the waterloo cedarfalls area. or is any body having a wild game feed that would like it. i also have a couple geese left, but they are partially freezer burned. i will be asking around so i may get rid of it myself, but appreciate any suggestions too.

vexilar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Can send it my way he he

ffman123
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: hammerhead

well i have been cleaning out my freezer and organizing. first, all of my meat comes from edgewood locker and is vacuume sealed. i have given 3 full boxes away to families here in the area that i know can use the help. i have about 25-30 packages of burger that i would like to get rid of yet. ALL FROM LAST SEASON, NOT FREEZER BURNED. does any body have any suggestions in the waterloo cedarfalls area. or is any body having a wild game feed that would like it. i also have a couple geese left, but they are partially freezer burned. i will be asking around so i may get rid of it myself, but appreciate any suggestions too.

The park up in Hazelton Fontana i believe accepts all meat if u run into a problem 😀 They feed it to theier animals 😀

pheasants
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you cant or wont eat it than you shouldnt kill it!

redingdl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hammerhead, you have a PM

bowtech777
    Participant
    Up
    Down

wow pheasants i think he is just tryin to do something nice no need to jump down this guys throat i have gave away game i was not going to eat its not like he is letting it go to waste thats why he asked if any one would want it…. step down from your high horse

COLTER
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you can’t find anybody that will take it Osborne’s wildlife park will also take it and feed it to the animals as long as it is straight deer meat.

Popwood
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Check with your local food pantry. They have knowledge of people who can use it.

Pheasants, can the attitude. It is out of character for Florence Nightingale. I do appreciate, however, that you are willing to identify yourself, rather than take pot-shots from the obscure fringes of anonymity!

Popwood

Wow, I could end up being a patient in your ICU!

slugandlump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: pheasants

It’s true there is always one :mrgreen: Come on chill out B)

Viking_hunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That’s the reason I only buy one deer tag each year. I don’t want all the leftovers.
    I usually have it made into jerky, sticks and burger and that way it all get’s used up.
    I have a buddy that shoots all the deer he can in a year, then has a hard time getting rid of all of the meat.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

What about the HUSH program? Might try contacting a C.O. and see if they would take it.

I see nothing wrong with taking as many deer that you can get tags for as long as it will be used. I took 9 (all does) myself during the 2008-09 season. 3 I had processed for myself (almost all gone 😥 can’t wait till next season gets here) , 3 I gave to HUSH & 3 I gave to a cousin. And I still, along with my other hunters haven’t even made an impact on the deer numbers in my area.

bulldog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

try making it into jerky out of the ground meat never lasts long around my house

popeandbooner
    Participant
    Up
    Down

This guy has obviously never seen how much food his local grocery store throws in the trash evey night! They all pitch it once it gets too close to the exp date, so you shouldnt have too much concern about have a little extra meat that you can give to someone who needs it. Anyway props to the guy who is willing to help someone by offering it to someone for NOTHING.

pheasants
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Whoa whoa before you all going off your high horse you should read the first post on here. 25-30 packages of deer meet to get RID OF. When you say you want to get rid of something that implys that you have no use for it. I am one of the biggest promoters of the HUSH program there is. Not only do I donate deer but also money because this is a great program. You all need to remember that the general public will only support hunting and hunting rights if they see it as a way for hunters to get food not as some form of sport. If someone from the non hunting community sees that post that someone will go shoot an animal and than tries to get “rid of” the meat that looks really poor. I have given meat away to families and so forth but not ever looking to just get rid of it. That is where my beef is and it should be all yours too if you have any values at all too.

On a side note I qutie hunting with some guys in Arkansas who were from Tennessee because they would shoot tons of ducks and than pile them in a pit or in a shed and would only eat a small few of em. Once I saw that I was disgusted and said I am no longer hunting with you guys and that was tough cause they had some REALLY good pits/fields.

pheasants
    Participant
    Up
    Down

and yes I have seen how much food grocery stores have thrown out. and restaurants and schools and ect…. That isnt right either and I am not saying they are ok for doing that also.

hammerhead
    Participant
    Up
    Down

PHEASANT im not sure what your major issue is. i gave 2 to the hush program and i paid the processing fees. i have no reason other than i think that i will still have some left when hunting season starts. i took a guy during the november doe saeson because he wanted some meat for the freezer. then when he didnt pick it up the locker called me and so i went and picked it up. i will not leave meat at a locker. you dont have to be assinine to the people on this site. i simply thought if some one wanted some free meat i have enough to get rid of some. if i dont get rid of it, it will eventually get eaten. i buy 6-7 tags each year my house hold will eat 5 deer without a problem. i pay for processing for 1-2 and donate to hush. i believe you need to reassess your self and relate that some of us are just trying to help out others who werent as fortunate.

Habitual_eyer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey everyone, as we age we are not as able to do as we did when we where young. I hope someone would offer me some deer meat. Just cuz I like it. I’m thrilled to see the offer.

barb

pheasants
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If that all would have been stated in the orginal post than there would have not been an issue but everything comes down to wording. I still stand by my statement if you dont want to eat it than dont kill it but I see you were just doing a good deed and I comend you for that and apologize.

[email protected]
    Up
    Down

If that all would have been stated in the orginal post than there would have not been an issue but everything comes down to wording. I still stand by my statement if you dont want to eat it than dont kill it but I see you were just doing a good deed and I comend you for that and apologize.

Sir, putting THAT much faith in semantics to defend your original proposal does not hold water. Another fault with your logic is that many people who are a bit older than you did not “grow up” with the electronic communications we have today. They are not as used to communicating this way as you are. One more thing in my “RANT” is that it is very very difficult to judge inflection in email or website posts per say. Apparantly you have learned this with the offense that everyone has taken to your attitude; or you well should. ❗

P.S. I am also an RN, I hold a BSN and graduated with honors. This type of attitude is why I do not work in health care anymore. Most hospitals, especially ICU’s, have become a clique of arrogant followers; and how dare you question their particular brand of dogma. Another sign of how badly our healthcare industry is broken. 😯 😯

pheasants
    Participant
    Up
    Down

what arrogance have I shown? I grew up farming and am from a farming community and had hadly anything for materail possessions so dont sit her and tell me that I am the arrogant one. You have no idea who I am and what I am about. I have no idea who you are and what kind of person you are. Same thing with just about everyone on this website. I commented on a post and now I am getting slammed. This does not boil down to arrogance or ranting. It is simply a matter of miscommunicating. You will not find ANYONE who is more passionate about wildlife and hunting than me and I want to make sure that the image of hunting, fishing, and trapping are not seen as source of entertainment and killing of animals for fun but as a means of connecting with nature and providing food for the table, whether it be your table or the tables of homeless and or prisons. If we want governments to continue funding programs like CRP and WRP and other conservation programs we need to show that we are in it for the wellbeing of the planet and animals and not for our entertainment. I appologized to hammerhead but I was not given the full story and that is that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.