Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting European Mounts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have struggled for a few years with how to make my European mounts for the wall. This Christmas I was home on the family property and decided that I would use some cedar for the mounting board. A little sanding and varnishing later and I think they turned out pretty good. Cheap too! The three bucks on the wall are my 2009,2010,2011 (left to right) archery harvests in central Iowa.

Participant

how did you slab cut the cedar? Did you dry it? They look real nice. I tried to make a wall hanger for my buck this year and ended up turning it into a stand to set on my TV.

Nice work. I hate paying for something I could make

Participant

Those look great! I really like the corrugated steel used as wainscoting look in the game room. Very nice!

Do you live in the Iowa City area by chance?

Participant

I just used a chain saw and cut it at an angle (I know, real professional). Then I dried it by a wood stove, then fireplace for a few days. 4 coats of varnish, it really soaked it up.

Mav. Thanks, the women said I had to have a “man cave” in order to put up “dead animals” showed her 🙂 I do not live in IC, Des Moines..

Participant

Years ago I knew a guy in the Iowa City area that has/had a similar room with the corrugated steel on the ceiling, just wondered if that happened to be you or you bought his house. Very nice mounts and room!

Participant

Nice. I really like the whole rustic thing you have going on. Then again all my stuff is in the living room, the GF says “when we buy a new house, it goes to the basement” and I just keep putting stuff up in MY living room.

Participant

Looks great! How big around was the cedar you started with?

Participant

looks like a pretty good sized one.7-9″?

Participant

I think 7 to 9 is about right, the tree had been down for prolly 10 years so so it was fairly dry.

Participant

Very well done. Me likey. Would looke nice with a walnut slab also.

Participant

Nice! You like the big 8s and 9s! Me too, looks great!

Participant

These are absolutely awesome nosna! I’ve been trying to find a way to get mine displayed and I love this. Seeing your corrugated steel wainscot made me think that a piece of galvanized threaded pipe with flanges connecting to the wall and the cedar would be a really cool way for you to hang them. I think it would fit in well with your industrial man cave.

Participant

I really like that Idea of the pipe, you mean the black gas line type? I think that would look awesome. Thanks for the compliments. I have a curse of the 9’s ( you can’t see the 9th point in two). Either way, I have been very fortunate the past 3 seasons. Hopefully tomorrow am pays off late muzzle. The bucks sure have slowed due to the high heat. Too bad we can’t have 2 1/2 feet of snow and sit on field edges 🙂

Participant

I really like how the reddish-purple heart of the woods seems to outline the skulls, I am not usually a big European Mount fan, but I like those. Great Job.

Participant

Quote by: nosna

I really like that Idea of the pipe, you mean the black gas line type? I think that would look awesome.

Actually I was thinking more the galvanized pipe. Any Bomgaar’s, Theissens or Lowes has it. The black gas line would look cool too though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.