Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting End Deer Drives?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Before I start, I just wanted to preface this with that this subject is my personal opinion. Some people get real fired up and I am just tossing this on the table. I am relatively new here and I have been reading all of the topics this year. What would you think about the DNR making deer drives illegal on public land or making it illegal during Shotgun 1 on public land? Here is my thinking. While most hunters are responsible and do the right thing, it is almost impossible to know how many other hunters are on the land that you are pushing. From personal experience this year, I have been in close proximity to the receiving end of a barrage of slugs that were kind of/sort of aimed at two does that were running between myself (in a treestand) and the drivers. Additionally, I have found/seen numerous deer that were wounded/dead from shots that impacted outside the vital areas. I understand that we sometimes do not hit what we are aiming at (That is why it is called hunting and not killing) but it seems like the mulitple barrages that are shot over long distances at running deer help to facilitate the wounding of deer. I went out during Shotgun 2 and the public land that I usually hunt looked like a war zone with dead deer and deer that had serious wounds. Had a person state that they were going to drive the public land for the first two days and then hunt their private land afterwards so they could kill a buttload of deer. So, in a nutshell, I guess that the argument against it would be #1 Safety, #2 Allows more people to enjoy hunting the public land, and #3 more deer. Again, I look forward to reading your comments and I hope this doesn’t rile someone up too much. I am trying to educate myself on deer drives.

Blocked

I see the logic behind banning deer drives on public land due to the danger behind, but I think it would be pretty hard to get the large amounts of people who rely on Public land to support it.

Participant

Or maybe when you encounter bone heads as you mentioned call the C.O. or sheriff. If they get their butts in a ringer a couple of times maybe they will change their ways. I do not see a need for any more changes or additions to current regs. Just enforce what is already in place.

Participant

I don’t have a problem with it but it would almost be impossible to inforce!

Participant

I have proposed a ban on deer drives on the 330 acres of timber that I manage for my employer. People have absolutely freaked out about it. They feel like they have hunted it that way for 20+ years without a problem, why change now. I just don’t want to have to look someone in the eye and say I’m sorry about your (insert loved one’s name) who got shot and maybe killed in your typical shotgun deer hunting accident, when I could’ve done something that helped lower the risk of getting shot.

Participant

I am personally not a fan of deer drives. I think they are dangerous first and foremost. Not to get anyone riled up, but I personally believe Iowa would have more/bigger bucks without deer drives. The way i see it is it is very difficult to tell the difference between a button buck and a doe if the deer is moving with any speed at all. I realize alot of people pass on any small doe in gerneral or will only shoot bucks, or might say that it doesnt matter because you can’t eat horns. I’m just saying that the state benefits a great deal from people from in state and out of state hunting deer in search of an Iowa Monster. I think we would have a great deal more monsters without deer drives. Again I am not trying to make anyone mad or disrespect anyone, this is simply what i think. (not saying that my opinion means anything either because i’m only 19, you guys know more than myself)

Participant

Are there more hunters killed during deer drives? I used to be part of deer drives. But no more. Only reason I’m not. Most of the hunters that I hunted with have passed away from OLD age or alot just to old to walk that much. Most of them rather sit in stands ‘me to’.

Over 20 years of doing deer drives. WE never had 1 person killed or shot. Hunters getting shot is not because of deer drives. Its hunters not being safe and using commom sense.

If I was in a deer drive and the lead is flying all over. Guess what I wouldn’t be in that group long. Bottom line deer drives are safe. Its some hunters and hunting methods they use to make them unsafe.

Blocked

I havn’t hunted for deer in years, but if I did again I sure wouldn’t go out on Shotgun season. I prefer the peace and quiet of bow hunting, and well the sort of quiet from muzzleloading from a tree stand. I’ve gone out on Shotgun season, and it’s a little to crazy in places for me to enjoy it. But at the same time for people who are safe, it’s fun; that is unless there are a large group of drunken boneheads on the property next to the one you are hunting. ONe group I know of carries a full bar with them when they group hunt, heard they even had a keg in the back of one of the pickups one year:-(!

Participant

I to have heard the great sound of a slug come wizzing by at 10 ft on public land, I didn’t like it and let the guys know how I felt at the top of my lungs considering they knew I was there. However I won’t lobby to stop deer drives on public land, as it is effective and pushes deer around. For years we use to hunt the Lansing public areas and let other groups push deer right to us. 😉

Participant

If you’re hunting public ground during the shotgun seasons, I don’t see how you think you’re really safe anyways. In some areas you don’t know how many others are hunting or where they are. I agree that some people are just shooting at anything, then going to see what it is they shot. If it’s too small for their ego, they just leave it lay. If the deer is wounded and would require some time to find it, forget about it because it’s cutting into their hunting time and there are more deer around the corner. This is just how a few people are, it’s not really a sport to them it’s just a chance to shoot as many deer as they can for bragging rights. I don’t hunt public ground but would have a really hard time hunting it during the shotgun seasons and feeling safe. Banning deer drives on public land isn’t the answer, but turning in the slob hunters would be a good place to start.

Participant

Can I ask why only shotgun 1?

Participant

Quote by: rfireman

Can I ask why only shotgun 1?

If I had to guess, I would say there are more people who hunt 1st season than 2nd and most of the guys are just hunting Sat. and Sun. of 1st season. That maybe changing because with the doe season right infront of 1st season shotgun, there just isn’t the advantage of hunting the deer 1st anymore. Several groups I talked to said they where going to switch to 2nd next year to have more time to hunt because the deer where so spooked during 1st season it’s no longer an advantage and you only get 5 days.

Participant

I say let them keep shooting at each other during the shotgun seasons and ban any type of “group” or party hunting during the muzzy seasons. Too many lead slinging idiots from the shotgun seasons are now hunting the late muzzy season and treating it like shotgun season, and the DNR doesnt seem to care as long as they buy tags they DONT care who shoots it as long as they get your money!

Participant

There is no right or wrong answer to this. The only thing that we can do is take responsibnlility for our own actions. Common sense is the most important part of deer hunting. I would not hunt a spot if there was lead flying all over the place, I would not hunt in timber right next to drunk hunters, but I think that for the most part, deer hunters are safe and use common sense. There is always going to be exceptions, but the statements made in this thread are exactly what PETA and the other tree hugging organizations want to use against us. Most shotguns hunters do not shoot small deer and leave them, or take crazy shots towards others. No matter what outdoor activity you take part in, there is always going to be a few idiots. We need to follow rules, and turn in unethical hunters, but the ABSOLUTE last thing that our sport needs in more regulation!

Participant

I would like to see them end deer drives. IMO its dangerous and not very ethical. I have done it quite a few times but would much rather sit for them. It feels alot more rewarding to me to have to do my homework on them and outsmart them. I also like being able to place a good shot on the deer not having them run from me and have to try to lead them. Thats just my opinion though and I think those who also still hunt would agree on how it feels more rewarding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.